Billingshurst book place in SCFL Supplementary Shield final with win at Seaford Town

Billingshurst secured their place in the SCFL Division 1 Supplementary Shield final with a 4-0 victory away at Seaford Town in the semis on Saturday.

Saturday, 8th May 2021, 7:57 pm
Updated Saturday, 8th May 2021, 7:58 pm
Billingshurst manager Lee Spickett (left) and goalscorer Archie Goddard. Pictures by Iain Gibson

On a tricky surface, Billingshurst started brightly, applying pressure to the Seaford back four.

The home side started to assert their style on the game, with long throws and passes being the main part of their armoury.

The first clear chance fell to Billingshurst though. Jahobi Maher found himself one-on-one with the keeper but clipped his shot over the bar.

Jahobi Maher netted a double in Hurst's 4-0 win at Seaford Town in the SCFL Division 1 Supplementary Shield

In the 22nd minute, Maher made amends when he struck a shot from 20-yards that went under the keeper to make it 1-0.

Seaford continued to have most of the game, and Reece Edwards will have been disappointed not to have done better with a free header, but the away side got to half-time at 1-0.

The second half showed a much more dominant Hurst performance. First Archie Goddard had a shot saved by the keeper then Maher narrowly missed the target after a great move involving Goddard and Ricardo Fernandes.

It was no surprise when the pressure took its toll and Goddard was brought down by goalkeeper Jack Webb for a penalty which he duly converted.

By the 70th minute, he’d doubled his tally after he latched on to a flicked header.

Billingshurst completed an excellent second period when, in the 88th minute, Jordan Stallibrass was hacked down to allow Maher to get his second of the game.

In the end a comfortable 4-0 victory to Billingshurst that takes them into the final versus Midhurst & Easebourne.

Billingshurst manager Lee Spickett said: “(I'm) super proud of the boys and pleased for everyone behind the scenes at the club to reach a final.

We’ve worked hard for 15 months to stabilise the club and put a marker down.

"Today we turned up, didn’t bottle it, matched them with work rate and were clinical in front of goal."