Horsham coach pleased with Uckfield domination

A DEVASTATING spell of four tries in 15 first half minutes saw Horsham blow away the challenge of visitors Uckfield and record a 38-12 win.

Tries from Sam Bell, Joe Clark, Matt Brown and Angelo Shepherd gave the Green and Whites their bonus point after only 29 minutes, and having added a fifth through Brown in the second-half, only taking their foot slightly off the gas allowed the visitors two tries to bring some respectability to the score.

Coach Nick Stocker said: “Despite what the Uckfield report reads on their website, which is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen, we dominated.

“In the first half Uckfield managed to get meaningful possession in our 22m only twice, and that was from penalties they kicked so that tells its own story. We probably should have won the previous game up there earlier in the season, but on Saturday we were a lot more clinical and a lot more aggressive in the key areas. Crucially we bossed the contact area, which secured us a lot of turn over ball, didn’t allow Uckfield space to play and gave our backs the space to rip them to shreds.”

After ‘feeling each other out’ for the first 15 minutes Horsham opened the scoring when, following a good drive by the pack, Sam Bell picked a great line to run in under the posts, Matt Brown adding the extras with his boot.

That began Horsham’s hot streak, as two minutes later good work from Brown and Clark preceded a determined carry from prop Neil Holden, who burst through the centre and offloaded in the tackle for Clark to go over, Brown again converting.

Brown then slotted over a penalty before he got in on the try-scoring action from Bell’s fine carry. And straight from kick off came a contender for try of the season. A fine team move which involved Ryan Grover - excellent all game in the second row - Clark, Sam Bell with a superb 30m pass, Liam Yates and Jonny Ordidge and finally finished off by Shepherd, and another successful conversion made it 31-0 at half-time.

“Even the referee said it was a contender for try of the season, it travelled 80 metres through eight pairs of hands,” Stocker said.

The hosts continued their scoring at the start of the second half as Brown slotted over another penalty before scoring his second and again converting it himself to extend the lead to 38-0. As Horsham just eased up Uckfield ran in two consolation tries.

Stocker said: “We have talked about playing for the whole 80 minutes so it was disappointing, but when you’re that far ahead it’s always difficult not to take your foot off the pedal.

“But it was still a very pleasing result against a team who were just below us and had aspirations to come here and win. We’ve got some big teams to play but when we play like that with confidence we’re difficult to beat.”