Holbrook hope a remarkable first win of the season will kick start their season

Holbrook are celebrating a first win of the season
Holbrook are celebrating a first win of the season

Holbrook staged a remarkable fight back to come from 17-0 down after 20 minutes to score 29 unanswered points and secure their first win of the season.

With a larger than normal crowd due to a VP lunch and a strengthened side due to the return of a number of injured players, hopes were high of a victory. However Brighton came out much stronger and scored three tries in fairly quick succession, using their better handling skills and quick pace out wide.

Holbrook had hardly been in the Brighton half and that was the way it stayed until Nick Holt converted a drop goal just before half time.

The second half was a totally different affair and winger Matt Sprigge was the catalyst for the turnaround, a ball over the top was fielded by Sprigge in his own half and he evaded several tacklers before jinking his way under the posts to score a sensational try.

Three minutes later the ball was spun wide, after good work in the loose by Connor Pascoe, to winger Glenn Westoby who outpaced two defenders to touch down for the second try.

Holbrook were two points adrift and now full of confidence, a different side from the first half and previous games.

An attacking scrum led to the next try when the Holbrook pack pushed their opposition over the line for number 8 Greg Holt to score, which was coolly converted by Sprigge.

Brighton had a ten minute period of pressure where they threatened the Holbrook line but after taking the option to run a number of penalties, the home side held firm and the opportunity went begging.

In the final moments Holbrook also had the opportunity to take a few kickable penalties but they opted for a scrum and once again used their strength for Simon Ley to score the bonus point try and secure a priceless victory that now takes them off the bottom of the league and hopefully kick starts their season.