Horsham move into top half after yet another fight back

Horsham came back from 12 points down to complete the double over long-time rivals Dartfordians with a 34-27 away win, which was their sixth successive victory.

Monday, 27th January 2020, 5:09 pm
Updated Monday, 27th January 2020, 5:10 pm
Will Grief (centre) was Horshams man of the match in the win at Dartfordians. Picture by Darryl Sears

The Green and Whites have edged into the top half of the table, hot on the heels of Belsize Park in sixth.

Horsham dropped the ball from the kick-off and following the scrum the ball was spun wide for Joe Scott to open the scoring in the corner. This was followed by a converted try from Alex Cappucio.

Dartfordians were playing all the rugby and after eight minutes were leading 12-0.

The Green and Whites responded with a fine try from Max Paterson. Harrison Sims made a long pass to Paterson who used his pace to score in the corner.

Dartfordians came back with a penalty from Jonny Regnier before a several phase try was finished by Declan Nwachukwu and converted to see Horsham to go into the half-time 15-12 down.

Horsham scored three quick tries after the restart. Good direct rugby saw the rewind of the ball and Sims dummied inside to finish out wide.

He was unsuccessful with his conversion but Horsham had taken a 17-15 lead for the first time in the game after 43 minutes.

A great first phase try saw Marcus Condon finish well for the bonus point before Josh Sudder ran in from 20 metres to score.

Kieran Clarke responded for Dartfordians but Nwachukwu finished off the game with Horsham’s sixth try, converted by Sims, to lead 34-20.

There was still time for Scott to score his second try but the hosts ran out of time.

Horsham head coach Nick Stocker said: “For the third week in succession we allowed the opposition to get their tails up and create a two-score lead.

“Dartfordians started at a fast pace and with the journey still in our legs, we did well to contain the start.

“As our set piece started to fire, so too did our patterns of play and by half-time we were right back in it.

“A quick-fire salvo just after half-time of hard running rugby from set piece and great lines in the backs saw us gain the lead and never look back.

“Particularly pleasing was the way we adapted to the changes in the squad with all players contributing well.

“Next week we welcome Thurrock who we had the tightest of finishes against last time.”