Pulborough move to within a point of gaining promotion

Pulborough moved to within one point of securing promotion to London 2 South East - but have again been warned to stay grounded.

Friday, 31st March 2017, 2:00 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:41 pm
ks170168-9 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211407008

Their comfortable 54-26 victory over fourth-placed Folkestone on Saturday saw the Freelands side maintain their four-point lead at the top of the table.

They now need just one more point to guarantee them a top-two finish and promotion with Thanet Wanderers nine points behind in third.

Borough face Park House on Saturday, before finishing the season at home to Lewes the following week and will be looking to clinch the league title from Haywards Heath.

ks170168-4 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211237008

Pulborough captain Simon Burfiend said: “It was another great win on Saturday. Despite Folkestone scoring a few points we always felt in complete control of the game and began breaking the line with ease towards the end of the match, which is exactly the game plan Clay (Saunders) wanted to enforce. Relying on our pace and fitness in the later stages.

“We see Saturday as another step closer to the title and promotion. But as I keep reiterating we can not get ahead of ourselves as Heath are still hot on our heels.

“We are travelling to Park House next weekend with a strong side knowing they have given us some close games at a their ground in previous seasons.”

Pulborough led 12-0 after just ten minutes as Guy Baxter and Will Truscott brushed off tackles and both touched down with Frazer Oliphant-Hope adding both conversions.

ks170168-8 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211325008

Folkestone turned to their forward game, but their centres, who found the most room and just shy of the line, were pulled down by some excellent cover tackling.

The Pulborough forwards held firm for over ten phases until Folkestone finally bludgeoned over the Pulborough whitewash for a converted try.

Pulborough quickly re-established their cushion firstly through a penalty from Oliphant-Hope and then Will Scrase, who latched onto a beautifully-weighted kick from Truscott in the corner.

Two minutes later, Scrase intercepted a poor pass in the centres and raced to the line for a 27-7 lead at the break.

ks170168-1 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211419008

‘Borough were rampant in the second half against a struggling Folkestone and replacement Chris Whyte spun wide and following excellent hands from the backs, Scrase had his hat-trick.

Folkestone didn’t give up and some absent-minded tackles in the Pulborough midfield allowed the greens to double their tally and leave the score at 32-14.

Nick Haynes, who had already created two scores from full-back, then danced around the unravelling green line and touched down to make it 37-14.

Truscott then doted down for two scores in imperious and brutish fashion from his wing either side of another Folkestone try.

ks170168-3 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211225008

The final play of the game saw Truscott barge through again for his forth try and this was converted by George Lee.

Pulborough: Baxter, Nichols, Pascall, Baldwin, Goring, Morton, Coombe-Tennant, Reed , Lee, Oliphant-Hope, Scrase, Burfiend, Burnett, Truscott, Haynes. Subs: Game, Mcloughlin, Whyte.

ks170168-4 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211237008
ks170168-8 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211325008
ks170168-1 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211419008
ks170168-3 Spt RugPulbFolk phot kate SUS-170325-211225008