Horsham 0-4 Redhill: Second half meltdown sends Hornets crashing to defeat

Anthony Story and Cliff Cant watched Horsham's winning run end. Photo by Steve Cobb SUS-150119-113914001
Anthony Story and Cliff Cant watched Horsham's winning run end. Photo by Steve Cobb SUS-150119-113914001

A second half meltdown saw Horsham concede four times as the Hornets’ three-game winning streak came to an end against Redhill.

The relegation battle six-pointer was evenly contested for 45 minutes but the visitors pulled away with a clinical performance after the break, while a late red card for Tom Hughes compounded Horsham’s misery.

The result brings to an end a superb three-match spell under the new management team of Anthony Storey and Cliff Cant, who included a new signing, midfielder Joe Obersteller, in the starting 11.

Redhill began with purpose and carved an opportunity within two minutes, but Gareth Williams saved well from Daniel Bennett.

Striker Trevor McCreadie had been in fine form for Horsham, but the frontman missed a golden chance to give the Hornets the lead on 15 minutes.

A clever pass from Bailo Camara released Tony Nwachukwu, and the winger’s low cross targeted McCreadie, but the attacker miscontrolled the ball with the goal at his mercy.

The home side were playing with confidence, underlined when Tom Vickers beat a man and worked room for a shot, his swerving effort from outside the penalty area just swinging wide of the far post.

Williams was soon called into action again when a Redhill corner deflected off Hughes - forcing the keeper into an agile stop to prevent the own goal.

Little separated the teams after the first half, but it took the visitors just six minutes to take the lead after the break.

A header from Tyrone Pink struck the inside of the post and bounced back to the attacker, who somehow managed to divert the ball home while lying on the turf.

Chances continued to come at both ends. Redhill flashed danger when Bennett dragged his shot wide, and McCreadie appeared in on goal before Callum Thomas flew off his line to smother the shot.

The visitors doubled their lead just after the hour mark. Horsham were guilty of failing to clear their lines as a poor clearance fell to Reece Hall, who set up skipper Jon Difford to shoot through a crowd and beat Williams.

Horsham received a lifeline when they were gifted an indirect free kick in the box for the second game in a row, but this time Nwachukwu’s strike was charged down by an onrushing defender.

Substitute George Branford then had his pocket picked by the busy Bennett, who went through on goal but just missed the target.

Horsham’s spirits were broken by a third goal ten minutes from time.

Thomas’ long punt down field caught Jack Hope off guard, allowing Alex Teniola to slip in and beat Williams at the second time of asking.

A fine finish from Leonardo Mazzone made it four, and a miserable second half showing from the Hornets was completed when Hughes tripped the dangerous Pink to receive his second yellow card.

Horsham: Williams, Hope, Hamilton (Berry 74), Graves, Hughes, Obersteller (Branford 64), Welch, Vickers, McCreadie, Nwachukwu, Camara (Otobo 64).