Nash fully focused on batting display and promotion push at Sussex

Chris Nash is fully focused on his batting and is preparing for a big year ahead at Sussex as they look to bounce back from last season's relegation.

Friday, 15th April 2016, 9:00 am
Sussex batting at Horsham CC on Tuesday. Pic Steve Robards SR1517429 SUS-150721-160048001

Their County Champion-ship Division 2 season got under way this week with a weather-ruined draw away to Northamptonshire – but opening batsman Nash missed out on the side through an injury problem.

Despite this, Cuckfield-born Nash, who grew up in Horsham, is expecting big batting performances from himself and other senior members of the squad.

The 32-year-old feels that not having the responsibility of being vice-captain on his shoulders like last year can have a positive effect on his personal performances.

DM1619558a.jpg Sussex County Cricket Club press day. Chris Nash. Photo by Derek Martin SUS-160404-163126008

He said: “It is an interesting year for me now. Obviously, not involved in, with last year being vice-captain and having done some bits of being captain in the past.

“To not have that kind of responsibility means it is all about myself, so a big focus on me as a batsmen and making sure I score as many runs as possible.

“I do not really set huge individual targets but I know it is a big year for me as a batter and to help make sure I score my runs for the captain and obviously to hopefully get up into division one.

“You have myself, Joycey (Ed Joyce), Wrighty (Luke Wright) and Ross Taylor so we have got some experience in the top six which is obviously very good.

DM1619558a.jpg Sussex County Cricket Club press day. Chris Nash. Photo by Derek Martin SUS-160404-163126008

“I think it is very important that us four contribute, and if we contribute other teams will look at us and find us very hard to beat.”

Nash, who scored 1,410 runs across all three formats last season, is disappointed that he will not be playing at Cricketfield Road in the season ahead.

The Horsham Festival of Cricket will not take place this year, meaning Nash will miss out on a normally eagerly-anticipated trip to his home ground.

He said: “Being a Horsham lad, I grew up five minutes from the ground and that’s where I played so I’m gutted not to play there.

“I always looked forward to going back there so to not play there is a big blow but I have been involved here for a long time and understand the reasons, so that is just the way it is.” Sussex have had a frustrating start to the new Division 2 this week at Northamptonshire.

One shining light has been George Garton, who took three wickets on his full debut.

Ben Duckett made a sparkling fifth championship century as Northamptonshire dominated the opening day against Sussex at Wantage Road, making 296-2 having been asked to bat first.

Duckett continued to play his way into Northamptonshire cricket history with 282 not out on the second day.

He batted through the only two sessions possible on Monday as the home side made 481-7 before bad light and drizzle prevented play after tea.

Rain seeping through the covers during the night ruled out any plan on Tuesday - with play eventually called off at 4pm. Play was abandoned early on Wednesday, leaving Sussex with six points from the clash to Northants’ nine.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!