Langton slams referee after Horsham slip to defeat

Horsham FC
Horsham FC

NEW Horsham manager Hugo Langton criticised the referee for helping to create a frustrating afternoon for his club.

They let slip a 1-0 lead with 20 minutes to go which turned into a 2-1 defeat against fellow relegation battlers Aveley.

The Hornets boss took charge on a permanent basis for the first time but had to endure the devastating effects of Nicky Humphrey’s sending-off for receiving a second yellow card for dissent and two late goals.

Langton said: “I’m not at all happy with the referee (K Mirbride) he was very card happy with us. Their first goal followed a free-kick which when he gave it to them I was in shock. He’s given it against Ian Varley when their bloke’s all over him.

“He’s trodden on his toes, he’s backed into him and given him a nudge. How is that a free-kick to them? Nicky Humphrey getting sent-off hasn’t helped.”

Langton reckoned despite how this game went, luck would turn Horsham’s way in the future.

He said: “It feels like the football Gods are against us but they’ll turn and they’ll be with us. We’ve got to keep going no matter how frustrating football can be.

“At 1-0 up we had chances to kill the game off but we haven’t taken them unfortunately. That’s something we’ve got to look at and address. I’m not going to knock the players effort-wise. They were outstanding.

“We were 1-0 up away from home and defensively very sound. It felt a bit like Hastings when in a couple of crazy minutes the whole complexion of the game was changed.

“We’ve got to keep our heads up and remember we are going to win games we probably don’t deserve to. It feels like I did something bad in a previous life that’s catching up with me.”

Horsham took the lead in the 28th minute when Tony Nwachukwu crossed to an unmarked Ray Freeman who nodded home from close-range.

Both sides had chances before Humphrey saw red in the 70th minute for dissent, his second yellow following an earlier card shown for a foul in the first half.

Almost immediately the game turned as two minutes later Aveley’s two substitute strikers Ellis Remy and Danny Francis combined to put the home side level, Francis scoring on the rebound after Remy’s attempt was saved by Thomasz Kroll.

Aveley then added a second just three minutes later with a pot shot from the edge of the area by Cedric Ngakam.

Horsham didn’t throw in the towel and came close to grabbing a late equaliser in added time when Senny Diedhiou’s free-kick hit the top of the crossbar.