Horsham hit Saltdean for eight

Scott Harris continues to impress in pre-season
Scott Harris continues to impress in pre-season

Horsham recorded their biggest win of pre-season with an 8-0 rout at Saltdean Utd last night (Tuesday).

New signing, striker Gabby Odunaike enjoyed a fine debut with a first-half hat-trick and there were further goals from Billy Dunn (two), Jamie Cade (two) and Miles Mitchell.

The visiting Hornets played some nice football throughout, albeit against County Two opposition and boss Simon Colbran was delighted to see his side find their form in front of goal.

“We said we wanted to try and get a few goals tonight, obviously no disrespect to Saltdean whatsoever but they’re a couple of leagues below us and that’s the only thing we’ve really been missing in the last couple of games, the finishing product, so it was good to score eight and get that going,” Colbran said.

“We are definitely going to be looking more in the attacking positions because last year that’s where we weren’t strong in the side.

“We’ve had to look pre-season to get players in those positions and I think we’ve done that. It’s starting to look good all around the pitch now, defensively, attacking and midfield.”

The visiting Hornets got on top early at Hill Park, but after Cade saw a shot saved and bounce close to the goalline before being cleared, Saltdean missed a glorious chance from a free kick.

Horsham did break the deadlock mid-way through the first half when Junior Gomez slipped in Odunaike who finished well in the corner.

From there the floodgates opened. Odunaike again showed a cool head to take down a ball over the top and this time slot in from the left.

Miles Mitchell then surged up from left back to find the net with a fine shot with the outside of his left boot, and former Crawley Down frontman Odunaike wrapped up the half by completing his hat-trick when he pounced after the home keeper had fumbled Michael Death’s lofted shot.

Defender Charlie Farmer crashed a left-footed effort against the bar before the second half goals also arrived.

Billy Dunn, on as a second half sub put himself in the frame with two good finishes. The first saw him shift the ball onto his left and thunder a shot in from a tight angle, and then he dribbled round the outside of the box before clipping the ball into the top corner with his right.

Jamie Cade then got in on the act by nodding home a cross from the right before he also hit a second as he got on the end of Dunn’s fizzing cross from the left to complete a fine work-out with just over a week before the first game of the season.

In tomorrow’s paper: Simon Colbran admits holding onto his best five players will be a challenge.