Horsham 1 Peacehaven 4: Hornets give away two goals through goalkeeping mistakes

JPCT 150314 S14120340x Horsham FC. Horsham v Sittingbourne -photo by Steve Cobb SUS-140317-114322001
JPCT 150314 S14120340x Horsham FC. Horsham v Sittingbourne -photo by Steve Cobb SUS-140317-114322001

Horsham goalkeeper Mark Zawadski gave away two goals through silly mistakes to set up top of the table Peacehaven for a comfortable 4-1 win at Gorings Mead on Wednesday night.

It’s the third match in the last four where his howling errors have cost Hornets goals following mistakes against Folkestone when he allowed the opposing keeper to score from just outside his own penalty area and Hythe Town when he tried to dribble the ball past a striker.

This time Zawadski ran out to make an attempted headed clearance but the ball went straight to Peacehaven’s Tom Lawley, teeing him nicely for the opening goal in only the third minute.

Peacehaven went 2-0 up three minutes before half-time when Lawley tried a shot from 25 yards which went straight at Zawadski but instead of making a straight-forward save, the ball slipped through his fingers and into the net.

The game could have been so different if Jamie Cade had put Horsham ahead in the first minute with a short-range effort which flew straight over the bar.

Cade then set-up Tony Nwachukwu for an overhead kick which flew off-target.

Nwachukwu supplied Ashley Richardson for a powerful attempt on the rebound which flew wide.

Peacehaven’s players were almost impossible to identify for the neutral observer as the numbers on the backs of their shirts were not visible.

They forced a good save by Zawadski which was also followed by a drive over the bar on the hour by one of his team-mates.

In the second half Horsham pressed forward as Junior Kaffo nodded over the bar, then Cade had a double attempt on goal, seeing his initial shot blocked before hitting the ball again on the rebound before it rolled comfortably to the/keeper.

Zawadski even made a good diving save to deny Peacehaven with a move which was declared offside.

But Peacehaven then scored two goals in nine minutes through Sam Gargan and Charlie Walker.

Gargan’s looked offside as Walker’s header hit a defender before Gargan slotted in.

Walker then sealed the comfortable win in the 72nd minute by scoring their fourth, just seconds after player/manager Gary Charman took himself off the pitch from central defence after a hardworking game, leaving just three at the back.

Ironically just three minutes later Zawadski got down low to make a fine diving save to deny a Peacehaven player from scoring, but the move was ruled to be offside.

Horsham had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down when Richardson went down in the area but intead of a spot-kick, referee Mark Lucie awarded Hornets a corner.

Hornets pressed for a late consolation goal but instead had to make a quick retreat as the visitors made a quick breakaway move and fired over the bar.

Finally Michael Death made a dream first appearance of the season from the bench when he scored just six minutes later. He received a cross from Byron Napper on the left and made a spectacular turn and finish to score a goal from outside the area.

Horsham: Zawadski, Woodford, Hamilton, Napper, J King, Charman (Harris 67), Nwachukwu, Morley, Kaffo, Cade, Robinson (Death 77)

Unused subs: Legrange, Frankland, Blaney

Attendance: 175

Man of the Match: Jamie Cade