Burroughs grabs last-second Horsham winner in dramatic late away showing

Hockey. Horsham (white) v Tulse Hill and Dulwich. Pic Steve Robards SUS-150221-204243001
Hockey. Horsham (white) v Tulse Hill and Dulwich. Pic Steve Robards SUS-150221-204243001

Horsham played out a dramatic late show to grab all three points with the last touch of the game away at West Hampstead on Saturday.

John Burroughs netted the winner with a reverse-stick shot with seconds remaining in a match they were losing 3-2 with minutes to go.

Losing five starting players meant an uphill climb for a Horsham side needing three points to keep promotion chances alive.

They were also dealt another blow with the unavailability of topscorer Matt Hough who is out for the season with a broken thumb.

With fellow defender Seye Atkinson also in a plaster cast, and others unavailable, Andy MacIlwraith stepped up from the second team.

Although, Cirdec Atkinson failed a pre-match fitness test bringing the squad down to 13.

As ever Horsham started brightly playing elegant passing hockey.

But they continued their tradition of going a goal down – this week due to a bewildering umpire call that was to be the first of many.

Horsham kept going forward, however, and Jack Dean eluded the home defence to let Burroughs tap-in at the far post.

Moments later Burroughs himself dazzled the defence and set up Freddie Campbell, who sprinted 60 yards into the D for a wonderful reverse-stick finish that left the keeper with no chance.

Turning around at 2-1, Horsham’s new defence made a rare mistake and Hampstead equalised.

Another weird umpire call saw the home side score again in a goalmouth melee.

As the umpires increasingly lost control of the game, Horsham lost two players to yellow cards.

With the visitors down to ten men, coach Dom Male swapped a defender for a forward which turned the game.

With minutes left, Joe Humphreys won a clever short corner and Male forced home.

With seconds left, Humphreys won a free-hit on the edge of the D and Campbell’s quick thinking found Burroughs who converted a reverse stick shot as the whistle blew for the goal and full-time.

Manager Al Campbell said: “It was a brilliant and just result that shows the strength and depth in the club.

“At 3-2 down we looked dead and buried but these guys never give up and really stepped-up to scrap out the points.”