Youth football: Young Hornets pay respect to fallen soldier James Brynin

Horsham Youth paid their respects to former player James Brynin, the soldier killed in Afghanistan last week, with a minute’s silence before their cup match against Steyning FC.

Friday, 25th October 2013, 11:39 am
Horsham Youth's hat-trick scorer Callum Nash

The Hornets started superbly when straight from kick off Jake Legrange crossed for Callum Nash to tuck home, and having quickly settled into their passing game they doubled their lead when, from a Legrange corner Tom Belton’s drive was parried into the path of Harry Garman who scored his first of the season.

George Hole had an effort cleared off the line before Hole scored Horsham’s third, before a swift Steyning counter saw them pull it back to 3-1 by half time.

The second half saw Horsham run in three unanswered goals, Nash turning in Hole’s cross before he completed his hat-trick from the spot after Collier had been fouled, and Legrange added his name to the scoresheet when he cut in and fired home as the young Hornets won 6-1.

Horsham will travel to county side Lancing in the third round.

Horsham: Blaney, Wicking, Collier, Walser, Garman, Roberts, Kerr, Belton (Skett), Hole, Nash, Legrange.

Playing against Worthing U18s, Roffey U18s set the early tempo, Aaron Pyzer causing the Worthing left back problems with his speed, and on ten minutes Joe Wright lobbed the keeper to give them the lead.

Jack Fosberry then showed great determination to launch himself at Sam Marney’s ball in to head Roffey into a 2-0 lead, and with Ed Kear and Alex Moore at the back the defence looked solid, though Worthing pulled one back just before half time with their first real attack.

Roffey sat back a little and invited some Worthing pressure, though Liam Ruz had an amazing second half and used his speed and control to score two fine goals.

Worthing returned the compliment with two fantastic goals of their own but Roffey held on for a confidence-boosting 4-3 victory.

Horsham Sparrows Girls U13s enjoyed a good 3-1 win over Eastbourne Girls at the weekend.

Both teams were evenly matched until Ruby Edwards went on a solo run from the half way line to score Sparrows’ first.

In the second half after a strong run down the wing Imogen Sawyer crossed to Ava Hutson who put Sparrows 2-0 in front.

Eastbourne pulled one back and continued to threaten but Megan Collis scored Sparrows third to seal victory.