West Sussex Football League: Cowfold march on

Cowfold booked their place in the last eight of the Sussex Intermediate Cup with a 4-1 thumping of White Knight.

Fold had key players James Wrigley and Kristian Harding missing along with skipper Mark Derbyshire but still were too strong for their East Sussex League opposition.

With Tom Easton and Ben Tucker lively in support of Dan Dalton and Greg Brabon, Cowfold made a bright start, and when Ant Parsons released Nigel Smith, the striker dallied and the chance went begging..

The opening goal was only a matter of time, and when Brabon’s cross-shot was parried by the keeper, Parsons was lurking at the far post to steer the ball home.

Cowfold then gifted White Knight an equaliser when Lloyd Hatton headed the ball back to keeper Matt Beck who, thinking he was outside the box, spilled the ball to allow the forward the easiest of tap ins 1-1.

Despite that set-back, Cowfold continued to dominate midfield through Craig Deane and Luke Parsons, and sure enough they went in front when Smith back heeled a ball to Deane in the box who cut it back beautifully for Ant Parsons to slot in from four yards for his second of the afternoon.

After the break, White Knight enjoyed their best spell, but despite a few half chances, Fold extended their lead through Smith, who nodded home Deane’s right wing cross.

And progress was sealed when Tom Easton ghosted into the box unnoticed to slot into the far corner for 4-1.

Fold will now host either Wittering or St Leonards Social in the quarter final.

Premier Division

West Chiltington chalked up their 50th goal of the campaign on the way to a 5-0 defeat of bottom-of-the-table Watersfield.

Dan Leppard fired Chilt ahead, but his side were guilty of a number of glaring misses before Craig Pulling doubled the lead on the stroke of half time.

Watersfield improved in the early stages of the second half, forcing a string of saves from Chilt keeper Scott Wolters, while Ryan Ashley headed two goal-bound efforts off the line.

But after withstanding that storm, Chilt put them game beyond doubt when Gary Weedon slammed home Leppard’s neat pass and then Dan Clayton was sent clear by Pulling to net the fourth, And there was still time for man-of-the-match Freeman to score the goal of the game, waltzing through the Watersfield defence and rounding the keeper after a neat link-up with Weedon.

Division 3 North

Table-toppers Forest did not take long to shake off the ring rust in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat of Alfold Reserves - although they had to rely on a late goal to win it.

The Roffey-based side controlled the first half, but wasteful finishing meant they only took a 1-0 lead into the break courtesy of Gavin Fowler’s brave header.

Alfold were restricted to one long range shot, which veteran keeper Bruce Dumbrell dealt with comfortably.

Forest were given a perfect chance to double the lead early in the second half but after Warren Sweatmen was fouled in the box, he saw the resulting penalty saved.

That galvanised Alfold, who hit back through Dan Budd’s clinical finish, and the visitors looked like snatching an unlikely point.

But with Forest’s last throw of the dice, substitute James Dickenson found David Clark, whose pinpoint cross picked out Sweatman to make amends for the earlier miss and head home to break Alfold hearts.

Division 5 Central

West Chiltington Reserves’ good run came to a shuddering halt as they suffered a humiliating 8-2 defeat at Plaistow. The Chilt goals came from brothers Lea and Ryan Durant on a day to forget.

Division 5 North

Mark Blick capped a virtuoso performance with the final goal of Barns Green’s impressive 4-1 defeat of Holbrook IV.

Fired up from the start, Green went ahead when a great through ball from Mark Lane was expertly tucked home by Karl Johnson. Holbrook were dangerous coming forward, but when Blick was brought down in the box Mark Lane slotted home the penalty for a 2-0 half time advantage.

The second half was end to end with the Holbrook keeper making some excellent saves. But a blistering run and cross by Blick was knocked home by the unfortunate Holbrook defender to put the Green three up.

Holbrook plugged away and were finally rewarded when they pulled back a goal to make it 3-1. Green stormed back and Blick got the goal his performance deserved when he beat the offside to seal a 4-1 victory.

Worthing & Horsham District Sunday League

Division 1

Rusty from a two-week lay off and feeling the effects of the previous night, Ajax Kings Arms slumped to a 4-1 loss to Fresh FC.

Keeper Polson watched the first sailed in, and the slow turning defence were to blame for a quick-fire second,

Spurred on by Chicken Bovril, Ajax fought back and Tommy Clarke somehow bundled the ball over the line. Tom Hayes then swung in a cross that if Craig Grantham had believed was possible Ajax would have been level.

Craig Marshall hit a post but as Ajax pushed for the equaliser the defensive gaps reopened and eventually 4-1 flattered Fresh.