Sporting Memories

Sporting Memories
Sporting Memories

From the West Sussex County Times of November 16, 1973.

Shock for Roffey in local derby

Two local derby games in the cup racking up 9 goals between them. Roffey got a nasty shock when they were when they were hammered 5-0 in the second round of the Crawley Senior Cup by Forest Old Boys, who are a division below them. In the same round of the Sussex Intermediate cup, barns green eliminated Nuthurst in another local derby 3-1.

Sank 30-foot putt for a hat-trick

When the Mid-Sussex Winter Golf League games began and Mannings Heath gained eight out of the 12 points available in their match against Ifield and they won 4 to 2. Club president Bob Collin gave his club captain a bottle of champagne after hi side had won the annual president v captains team match on Saturday. Tony Never looked back after winning the toss for first choice of players in his team to win 4 to 2.

Slender victory shows increases growth in confidence and ability

Horsham Rugby Club, a comparatively young and inexperienced side, showed increasing confidence and ability with 16 - 13 win over visiting Haywards Heath on Saturday. At fly-half, peter Hillman made an extremely promising break, while on the left wing Graham Boswell in addition to scoring an excellent try, also showed ability to take on the opposition and beat them. A converted try kept the visitors ahead until Tony Smith went over for his second try to secure the win.

Local Butcher lands one of the heaviest sea-trout for years

One of the heaviest sea-trout taken from Arun in recent years (10lb, 1oz.) was landed at the weekend by Barrington Road, Horsham, butcher Lionel Mills. A member of the club, he legered with three gentles on a size 12 hook from 6lb b.s. line at Stopham Bridge. Unfortunately for him, the sea-trout season had ended on October so the fish was returned to the Arun - well below Stopham Bridge.

Some of their best football

Storrington played some their best football of the season as they 3-0 away to Southbourne, they took take a two-goal half-time lead at Southbourne on Saturday. After several near misses S. Warwick put them ahead and after a through ball which split the defence in half allowed A. Connor to net No. 2. But there was only minutes when J. Dodsworth added the third as he chased a loose ball and keepers clearance cruelly rebounded off him into the net.