Newport County 2, Crawley Town 0: Reds' two-game winning run ended by Exiles

Crawley Town's two-game winning streak in League Two came to an end this (Tuesday) evening following a 2-0 defeat at Newport County.

Tuesday, 20th April 2021, 10:37 pm

Liam Shephard put the Exiles in front on 52 minutes before Tom Nichols was shown a straight red card for an alleged elbow with a minute of normal time remaining.

Aaron Lewis then struck in the tenth minute of second half stoppage time to wrap up the win for Newport.

The results sees Crawley slip to 12th in League Two with three games of the 2020-21 season left to play.

John Yems made two changes from Friday's sensational 1-0 win over promotion-chasing Cheltenham Town.

Tony Craig and Josh Wright replaced Nick Tsaroulla and Jack Powell respectively. Skipper George Francomb returned to the bench.

The first half saw the Reds under relentless pressure from the Exiles.

County had an early goal chalked off. Joss Labadie's effort bounced off the post and into the path of Padraig Amond, who fired home, but the Irishman was in an offside position.

Tom Nichols was shown a straight red late on in Crawley Town's 2-0 defeat at Newport County. Picture by Jamie Evans ©UK Sports Images Ltd

Josh Sheehan's deflected shot then forced a good save from Crawley keeper Glenn Morris.

Amond struck the bar following Newport's seventh first half corner but the Reds held firm to keep the game goalless at half-time.

But the Exiles finally broke the Reds' resistance just seven minutes into the second half.

Shephard powered through the Crawley defence before firing past Morris to give Newport the lead.

The Reds looked to rally but could only muster a James Tilley header from an Archie Davies cross.

To make matters worse for Yems' side, Nichols was shown a straight red with a minute to go for jumping with his elbow.

And deep into second half stoppage time, right-back Lewis made sure of the win with a fine finish past Morris.

Crawley Town host sixth-placed Forest Green Rovers on Saturday.