Youth football round-up: Young Hornets reach cup quarters and Loxwood U18s close in on title

Good form. Roffey Robins U12s
Good form. Roffey Robins U12s

Horsham Youth beat rivals Sevenoaks Town 3-1 in their 3rd Round League cup clash.

The Hornets dominated the early part of the game and were rewarded with two goals in a five minute period.

Jamie Ampleford set up Jake Legrange to open the scoring and George Hole added the second with a fine strike from the edge of the box.

Town replied with a well-taken free kick before the break but it was Horsham who again enjoyed the majority of possession in the second half.

The Horsham back four, led by skipper Greg Gander were on top of their game to keep Town at bay and the tie was sealed when Ampleford struck from a tight angle in the final minutes to give Horsham a trip to either Walton & Hersham or Sutton United.

Horsham: Blaney, Wicking, Collier, Maxted, Gander, Cushing, Smith (Comber), Hole, Ampleford, Legrange, Haulkham (Hayden).

Two goals apiece from Stanley Rice and Jacob Waller helped Loxwood U18s run out 6-4 winners over Littlehampton at Plaistow Road. Ollie Clarke and Harry Garman were also on the scoresheet.

Then on Sunday Chichester were the visitors for an eagerly awaited double header.

Goals from Tom Killner-Brown and Stanley Rice gave the Magpies a 2-1 win in the first game, inflicting a first defeat on Chichester since April 2010.

But despite Jake Legrange’s goal in the second game, Chichester reversed the scores to win 2-1.

Loxwood manager Richard Chaplin said: “We’re five points ahead with Chichester having a game in hand, so the league title is ours to lose now.”

Loxwood: Chaplin, McHale, Garman, Killner-Brown, Parsons, Jupp, Warmisley, Frankland, Rice, Waller, Clark, Johnson, Legrange, Guthrie, Lewendon, Dollner.

Chris Nicholson’s 25th goal of the season was the difference as Roffey U18s ran out 1-0 winners over Arundel.

Nicholson’s first half goal was a fine strike and but for the Arundel keeper’s saves Roffey would have added to their lead before the break.

It was a different story in the second half, though the Roffey midfield stayed strong and a man of the match display from captain Tom Barnes in defence helped to see it out.

Tom said: “Today’s win is a credit to the way the whole team pulled together.”

Lower Beeding Lions U16s dropped their first points of the season with a 1-1 draw away to Broadbridge Heath.

Heath started the stronger and deservedly took the lead on ten minutes with a fine strike. Lions began to get into the game, Andrew Roberts hitting the bar with a shot from outside the box, and a few minutes later he hit the post.

The second half saw Lions get more possession and with 15 minutes remaining Liam Ruz cut inside his marker and fired past the keeper to hand Lions a draw. Lions of the match was Alex Moore.

The backlog of fixtures in the Arun and Chichester League has seen double headers introduced and that was the case for Horsham U16s, who drew both games against Worthing 1-1.

Playing halves of 20 minutes made things scrappy, and in the first game Horsham had to come from behind, Aaron Pyzer winning a late penalty which Andrew Roberts scored to earn a late point.

Horsham started the second game as they had finished the first, on the front foot, and this time they took the lead when Glenn Johnson’s diagonal pass found Callum Nash to score. The visitors equalised on the stroke of half-time and although the second period was one-way traffic Horsham couldn’t find the winning goal.

Horsham U15s’ persistence paid off in the end against ten-man Hastings, though they had to wait until late to take the win.

Horsham even needed goalkeeper Jack Reeves to save a penalty early in the second half to keep it 0-0 and from Ed Davis’s free kick Ali Kerr swivelled and scored the winner to hand his side a 1-0 win.

Broadbridge Heath U14s continued their charge up the league table with a hard-fought 2-1 victory against Dorkinians.

Heath played some excellent football on a bobbly pitch against physical opponents. Despite chances for Joe Kirkham and Kenny Pearce, Heath fell behind on the stroke of half time.

Heath responded straight after half-time, a great ball by the in-form Scott Buchanan set Kirkham away and he finished superbly. Both sides had chances, but Heath grabbed the winner after some great play by Reece Hallard, who put Kirkham through to calmly slot home his second.

Goalkeeper Joe Morgan made a brilliant reflex save to keep Heath in front and Jordan Bell hit the bar from a free kick which capped an outstanding performance from him and his fellow centre back Joel Colbran. Heath have now won seven on the trot and are only a point behind leaders Brockham with two in hand.

Horsham Sparrows Girls (White) U13s reached the final of the Challenge Cup on Sunday with a 2-0 win over local rivals Crawley Town.

Sparrows were frustrated by some resolute Crawley defending early on but Fliss Love broke the deadlock with a well-take first half goal.

Player of the match Sarah Pepper thwarted a number of promising Crawley attacks before another Love goal with ten minutes remaining sent Sparrows through to the final .

Following up on last-week’s impressive 6-0 win, Horsham Sparrows Girls U12s overcame Southdown 3-2.

Ellie Hutchinson gave Sparrows an early lead and Charlie Simpson’s hard work to chase down the Southdown keeper was rewarded with a second before half-time. Southdown got a goal back only for Ellie Hutchinson’s throw to find Maddie Gray who made it 3-1 and seal the win despite a late Southdown consolation.

Chesworth Rovers U12s turnaround a 3-1 half-time deficit to snatch a 3-3 draw against Cranleigh Comets in a thriller at the Holbrook Club.

A strong Cranleigh side raced into a 2-0 lead before Elliott Bennett pulled on back for Chesworth, only for Comets to restore their two-goal lead before half-time.

Jack Frankland made it 3-2 early in the second half with a curler and Chesworth put everything into the fight-back, and were rewarded when Bennett’s second two minutes from time for the draw.

Roffey U12s’ good form continued with a fine 5-1 defeat of a strong Brockham Badgers. Roffey took the lead after 80 seconds when Callum Jeal’s looping cross was headed home by Max Furber and they extended it through Callum Jeal’s long-range effort.

Brockham responded with a goal but Roffey struck again, Morgan Spooner making it 3-1. Brockham changed goalkeepers at half-time and he pulled off some fine saves as Roffey took control in the second half. Further goals came from Jamie Maunder’s header and Will Price’s classy volley.