Youth football: Chesworth and Partridge Green in the goals

editorial image
Share this article

Horsham Youth travelled to league leaders Lewes in the first round of the League Cup, where a late goal secured a 2-1 victory to extend their winning run to five matches.

Horsham broke the deadlock when Roberts’ cross found Waller who let the ball bounce before firing in a superb dipping effort in the 36th minute, leaving the keeper with no chance.

Lewes then scored their equaliser out of nowhere when Will Kerr’s effort was well saved and the goalkeeper’s long punt up field found the Lewes striker who was able to lob home the finish two minutes before half-time.

In the second half Horsham played a quick counter found Roberts who struck wide of the post.

With the dreaded penalty shoot-out looking likely Lewis Blaney sent a long drop kick upfield which caused confusion between the Lewes centre-halfs and allowed Legrange to nip in score an almost identical effort to the one previously denied in the 88th minute.

Horsham: Blaney, Wcking, Collier, Jupp, Garman, Cushing, Roberts, Kerr, Hole (Nash), Waller (Rice), Legrange


Horsham Sparrows took the lead three times through goals from Luke McDougall (2) and Alfie Jones.

However a penalty, an own goal plus three other goals by their opponents saw them lose 5-3.


Chesworth Rovers resumed winning ways with a comfortable 7-1 win against Crawley United. Elliott Bennett scored three, with Josh Baker, Archie Talbot, Jack Frankland and Harry Bryant netting the rest, with a consolation for Crawley four minutes from time.

Chesworth thrashed Ewhurst 21-0 in the John Laker Cup. Elliott Bennett hit five while Max McAteer scored four and Tim Bennett netted a hat-trick.

Harry Bryant and Benjy Collins contributed two apiece, while Archie Talbot, Jed Hooper-Ridesdale, Josh Baker. Connor Jones and Jem Minto also got onto the scoresheet.

Horsham Sparrows Girls comfortably beat Eastbourne 5-0.

Early in the match Megan Collis scored a hat-trick goals to give Sparrows the lead. Before half time Charley Simpson scored twice.


Partridge Green chopped down Forest Row 16-0 in a cup game.

Four-goal Connor Wykes opened the scoring before Luke Hill and Oliver Young helped themselves to five goals apiece, and the scoring was rounded off by Freddie Holman, with his first goals for the club.