Young Hornets hold nerve in shoot-out

Horsham Under-18s
Horsham Under-18s

Horsham Youth came through a tense penalty shoot-out after 90 minutes of high drama in the Youth Cup ended 3-3 with Tonbridge Angels.

A fine solo goal from Jamie Ampleford put Horsham ahead after ten minutes but the lead was short lived, the visitors levelling six minutes later.

The young Hornets then hit a purple patch with some great passing football which saw them go 3-1 up with goals from George Hole and George Whiting.

In a slower second half Angels pulled one back with 15 minutes remaining, and then levelled with virtually the final kick of the game.

The game went straight to penalties, and after both sides had scored their first seven penalties Horsham keeper Lewis Blaney saved The Angels’ eighth attempt leaving captain Greg Gander to step up and seal a dramatic victory.

Lower Beeding Lions Under-16s maintained their 100 per cent record in the league with a 1-0 victory over title rivals Steyning.

After a long break due to weather, Lions looked rusty and on a muddy pitch the game lacked fluidity. Against a Steyning side providing tough resistance it was a scrambled effort from Liam Ruz which separated the sides after Andrew Roberts had hit the bar. The win keeps Lions top. Man of the match was Liam Kidd.

Horsham Sparrows Under-15 Girls ran out 4-2 winners against Adur after an intense battle in very poor conditions.

Two goals came from Amber Sherwood and one apiece for Charlotte Long and Sienna Haydon after Sparrows had adapted to the 3G pitch to play so well.

Horsham Sparrows Under-13s were defeated 4-1 by Billingshurst. Jonah Holt scored for Sparrows and Jack Grant was man of the match.

Elliott Bennett scored a hat-trick as Chesworth Rovers Under-12s overcame Crawley Utd to reach the cup final.

Harry Bryant and Jack Woolgar-Leith were also on target for Rovers, who will again meet Roffey Robins Utd in the final.

Despite the weather doing its best to again postpone the fixture, Chesworth Rovers Under-11s ran out 4-1 winners over Horsham Baptists & Ambassadors to reach the Plate final.

On a cold, snowy morning, Chesworth keeper Thomas Edevane had to be at his best to keep Horsham out early on. Chesworth settled and were rewarded with the opening goal from Max Laker after determined work from Christian Burgess.

Horsham equalised and Chesworth missed a penalty before half time, but in the second half goals from Scott Saunders, Tommy Mantell and a second from Laker put Rovers through to face East Grinstead Town in the final.