WSFL round up: Cowfold stunned in the cup and Chilt come from behind to beat Slinfold

editorial image

On a cold and wet Saturday Cowfold’s Sussex Intermediate Cup hopes were washed away with a 2-1 defeat away at Wittering Utd in the quarter-finals.

Having seen the home tie twice already cancelled because of the weather the omens were perhaps already against them as they arrived almost full strength against their mid-table Division 1 opponents.

Having dominated the early stages it was no surprise when James Wrigley leapt to head Chilt into a tenth minute lead from Greg Brabon’s cross, and the visitors continued to dominate without adding to their lead before half time.

From the restart Wittering looked much improved, although it was Chilt who continued to carve out the best openings. But they were caught out on the break and a deflected shot saw the hosts make it 1-1.

Ben Tarrant saw a shot well saved before Brabon was penalised for pulling down a Wittering player in the box and a penalty struck straight down the middle put the hosts ahead. Ant Parsons saw a shot cleared off the line as Wittering hung on to make it through to the semi-finals to cause a shock.

In the West Sussex Football League Premier Division, Upper Beeding produced a superb performance to run out convincing 3-0 winners over league leaders Faygate Utd.

Luke Mitchell grabbed a great header in the first half, and with Joss Knowles ramming home a crucial second just on half-time, the belief was there to control the second half.

A Jamie Rowland drive ensured there were to be no late worries as Upper Beeding pulled off a momentous victory despite only having 12 players on duty.

West Chiltington Reserves came from behind to run out 3-1 winners over Slinfold Reserves in a Division 5 derby.

Chilt started brightly and had several good chances in the opening 15 minutes, all of which narrowly missed or were well saved by the Slinfold keeper.

It was the hosts, in their first game for 12 weeks who took the lead through Luke Stevenson.

Visiting Chilt equalised on the half hour with a long-range shot from David Bundock and then went 2-1 up with a well-crafted team goal from Dan Clayton just before half-time.

With conditions becoming ever more difficult a second goal from Clayton sealed the result between two very tired and muddy teams.

In Division 2 North Alfold finally returned to action and did so in some style with a 3-1 win over a much-improved Partridge Green side.

Hosts Partridge Green came storming out of the blocks but it was Alfold who struck first, Karl Bearryman beating his man and crossing for Andy Sullivan to hook the ball past the keeper.

The hosts equalised soon after but Alfold went into half time with the lead from the penalty spot, Robbie Brininger keeping his cool.

In a far more controlled second half Brininger secured the win when he tapped home following an excellent run from Andy Sullivan.

It was not such a good day for Alfold Reserves, who went down 4-1 at home to Ashington Rovers in Division 3 North. Chris Burrows came off the bench to score Alfold’s consolation goal.