WSFL round up: Cowfold set to snatch the Premier Division title from West Chilt’s graps and champions Forest end season unbeaten

Unbeatables. Forest have gone the entire league season unbeaten
Unbeatables. Forest have gone the entire league season unbeaten

It’s now advantage Cowfold in the Premier Division title race after they came from behind to beat neighbours and title favourites West Chiltington 4-2 in a pulsating match on Monday night.

A win for Chilt would have seen them lift the league crown on the night but Fold’s fabulous comeback leaves them top with one game left to play.

Billed as the biggest game of Premiership campaign between the best two sides, the game lived up to all expectations.

Cowfold’s Craig Deane should have given them the lead on six minutes but saw his shot parried by the Chilt keeper. From there visitors West Chiltington took a foothold and soon after they went ahead with a goal at the back post.

Jimmy Wrigley had a free kick tipped onto the bar, but it was Chilt who went further ahead on 20 minutes.

Cowfold have developed more of a steely resistance than in previous seasons and two goals late in the half levelled the scores at the break. Two minutes before half time they pulled one back when Wrigley’s free kick found the head of Mitchell-Harris and there was still time for Ben Tucker to smash home a corner for 2-2 at the interval.

Cowfold manager Ant Parsons gave a rousing half time team talk, and spurred on by a large home crowd of around 100 they stepped up another gear in the latter stages to put Chilt under increasing pressure.

It took the hosts until the 80th minute to take the lead for the first time, Nigel Smith latching onto a huge kick from Beck in the Cowfold goal before lobbing the on-coming Chilt goalkeeper.

Subs Phil Marshall and Dean Robinson came on for Cowfold to cause a real nuisance, and a super ball from Robinson provided Tim Martin with the opportunity to race through and score a thunderous fourth to complete the turnaround.

A point for Cowfold in their final match of the season at home to Hunston on Saturday will land them the Premier Division title.

Barns Green’s recent unbeaten run came to an end on Monday night when they went down 2-1 to Henfield in Division One.

The Green soon found themselves two down, but got themselves back into the game when Jack Pestridge drilled in from the edge of the box.

Henfield cleared one off their own line as Green pressured, but a goalless second half saw Henfield take all three points.

Green now entertain local rivals Pulborough in their final game next Monday whilst Henfield visit Wittering in a winner takes all game on Bank Monday.

On Saturday Barns Green were cruelly denied a magnificent win against title-favourites Wittering in a pulsating 3-3 draw.

Two goals from John Dillon and one from Jon Bacon put Green 3-2 up, but in the dying minutes Wittering scored from a corner to snatch a draw.

A 5-1 win over Henfield Reserves on Tuesday night saw Division 3 North league champions Forest finish the season unbeaten having not lost any of their 37 league games.

Forest could have been four or five ahead at half time but settled for the two well-taken goals from Gavin Fowler, although they did have to rely on stalwart Bruce Dumbrill making two excellent saves in goal.

Hosts Henfield pulled one back but the Forest unbeatables wrapped up their super season with three more goals from Charlie Hodgson, Barry Ashton and substitute Scott Shorey.

On Saturday only an 80th minute header from Russ Harwood handed Forest a 2-1 victory against Alfold Reserves.

Charlie Hodgson had earlier levelled after Alfold had taken the lead, and Harwood found the winner ten minutes from time when he headed in Craig Young’s corner.