WSFL round-up: Cowfold find top form to hit East Dean for six

editorial image
Share this article

Cowfold Reserves put in a stunning performance to beat East Dean 6-1 in Division One on Saturday.

Cowfold started brightly and took the lead on 15 minutes when Chris Bellison wonderfully executed his free kick past the ‘keeper and into the net.

Cowfold scored twice in three minutes to increase their lead. Firstly, on 40 minutes, Lloyd Hatton headed home before Mark Taylor slotted home at the second attempt for a comfortable half time lead.

After the break, Cowfold added a third goal of the day. Taylor played a fantastic ball across the face of the goal and Erick Semerene easily tapped in.

Cowfold added a fifth goal when Taylor headed in. East Dean did score a consolation goal on 85 minutes, but straight from the restart Cowfold scored their sixth goal; Dan Skett volleying in from 30 yards out leaving the keeper no chance.

After the game, manager Mark Hyde gave special praise to his star man Taylor. “Its good to see Mark improving week by week,” said Hyde.

In Division 4 North, Southwater Reserves picked up their third consecutive victory after a superb 5-2 win at Horsham Sparrows.

It was the home side who started the better and took the lead, only for Southwater to draw level when Henry Lily’s terrific run and cross found Sam Kearton, who drilled the ball home.

Lily then grabbed a goal of his own to put the visitors in front, smashing home a superb volleyed effort.

The impressive Lily then turned provider again, setting up Zac Moore who netted well

Sparrows pulled a goal back before the break to make half time slightly tighter.

Southwater improved in the second half and Lily grabbed his second goal of the afternoon.

Scott Cox capped an good display with the final goal, striking from outside the box as Southwater earned the points in style.

Poor defending cost West Chiltington as they slumped to a 4-1 home defeat against Newtown Villa, and with it, crashed out of the Sussex Intermediate Cup at the first hurdle.

The hosts had long spells of possession but they were unable to break down a resolute Villa defence.

The visitors also had their fair share of chances and took an early lead after just four minutes when a Chilt defensive clearance hit a Villa forward and flew into the net.

Villa took control of the game, and put the tie beyond Chilt with three goals either side of half time to take an unassailable lead.

Craig Dawson netted a consolation for the hosts and any chance of a fight back evaporated when Jon Donoghue missed a penalty with 15 minutes left on the clock as Chilt bowed out of the competition in only the first round.

West Chilt Reserves maintained their unbeaten start in Division 5 Central, but they were forced to settle for a point in an exciting 4-4 draw at Partridge Green.

The Chilt scorers wereJordan Mitchell, Dan Moore and Tom Reeves plus a Partridge Green own goal, which saw a share of the spoils.