West Sussex League round-up: Cowfold Reserves gain revenge

JPCT 280112 Holbrook FC v Cowfold II. photo by Derek Martin
JPCT 280112 Holbrook FC v Cowfold II. photo by Derek Martin

Premier League: COWFOLD put in a desperately poor performance to go down 3-1 to Watersfield.

Fold started the game badly, allowing their opponents to dominate and the visitors deservedly took an early lead when the home defence failed to clear a corner.

Gradually Cowfold realised they needed to up their game and they started to play better in patches. The equaliser came when Nigel Smith fed the ball through for Dean Robinson to finish with his left foot.

Despite getting themselves level Cowfold still couldn’t get into any kind of rhythm and it was the visitors who restored their lead despite Fold keeper James Fisher’s initial save.

James Wrigley saw an overhead kick well saved by the Watersfield keeper, and into the second half Fold couldn’t take advantage of some good positions and Watersfield sealed the match with a brilliant free kick into the top corner.

Youngsters Piers McDermott and Phil Bayne made appearances in the second half and acquitted themselves very well.

Fold: Fisher, Whiting, Tucker, Pike, Hatton, Barnett, Wrigley, Brabon, Robinson, Smith, Whiting. Subs: McDermott, Bayne.

Division 1

AN OUT of sorts Barns Green were soundly beaten by a strong Faygate side 4-0 on Saturday.

On a heavy pitch Green were no match for their strong running opponents.

REVENGE was sweet for Cowfold Reserves as they avenged defeat earlier in the season with a 2-1 win away at Holbrook.

Against a Holbrook side gunning for promotion and without their influential skipper Mark Passfield, it was a tough ask for Cowfold, but on 25 minutes Phil Marshall crashed a towering header back off the Holbrook bar from Michael Nash’s corner.

It was Holbrook who took the lead when they bundled in a corner but the goal seemed to galvanise Cowfold and they were level three minutes later when Scott Lancastle beat two defenders before firing low into the net to make it 1-1 at the break.

At half-time Cowold moved left wing back Lancastle to the right with Dan Dalton given a freer role in midfield, and the change paid dividends with the winning goal when, on 65 minutes Dalton saw his initial shot saved but with the rebound picked out Nash to crash a shot into the bottom corner. Holbrook rallied and Matt Beck made two fine saves as Cowfold held on.

Fold: Beck, Brabon, Derbyshire, Smith M, Marshall, Dalton, Parsons L, Ansell, Lancastle, Smith D (Parsons A 70), Nash.

Division 2 North

PULBOROUGH bounced back from last weekend’s disappointing result by beating Holbrook 2-0 with goals from James Smillie and Ashley Leenders.

Division 3 North

COWFOLD III kept their slim promotion hopes alive with a fantastic home win against table toppers Ockley FC.

Fold took the lead on 15 minutes when Brad Carter intercepted a pass at the back and it deflected into the path of Pat Kitchener who calmly slotted home. Five minutes before the break Fold doubled their lead when Sam Leach’s fantastic free kick was headed in by Rhyse Nash.

Ockley pulled one back on 51 minutes from a soft free kick, but Cowfold worked tirelessly to keep their visitors out further to claim a 2-1 win. Youngster Carter was man of the match for his tireless work as the lone striker.

Fold: Morley-Smith, Leach, Clifford, Taulbot, Kemp, Symonds, Kitchener, Kerridge, Lyons, Carter, Nash. Subs: Roussos, Park.

Worthing & Horsham District Sunday League

Division 1

MISSING SIX regular starters, Ajax Kings Arms’ contest with Goring Rangers was always going to be tough, and so it proved with a 4-1 defeat.

Drafting in the Eastern European New Zealander from Wales, Nico Molijn, and back from the wilderness, Chris Osborne, Ajax at least had an attacking look and went into a shock lead when Dan Brazier terrorised the defence to provide a poachers tap in for James Long.

Goring’s class then showed as they played the ball neatly and unlocked Ajax three times, although the marking left something to be desired.

Nick Cooke, who was lucky to be on the pitch having conceded the penalty, pulled off a fingertip save to stop the deficit being stretched and Ajax had their chances too, Brazier rattling the bar and a Molijn goal-bound shot unluckily hitting Luke Martin on the back side.

Goring scored again late on after centre half skipper Tom Clarke had unselfishly put himself up front, to give the score a flattering look.

Goring will take some stopping in the title race, whilst Ajax are looking over their shoulder at the relegation places.