West Sussex Football League update: Cowfold smash six

JPCT 16-02-13 S13083043x WSFL: Cowfold v Lancing -photo by steve cobb
JPCT 16-02-13 S13083043x WSFL: Cowfold v Lancing -photo by steve cobb

A rampant Cowfold scored six when they could have had ten goals in a game with Lancing they never looked like losing.

It was fairly even until the 28th minute when Cowfold went ahead, Greg Brabon following up his own shot which was parried to stab the ball over the line despite protests from the visitors.

Lancing had a penalty shout turned down and then lost their influential right winger and with it a degree of their threat on the counter.

Cowfold got their second on 40 minutes, James Wrigley showing good strength before picking out Ben Tarrant to score the first of a hat-trick.

Having gone in 2-0 up the hosts began the second half as they finished the first. On 47 minutes Wrigley again won the ball and fed Greg Brabon, who beat two defenders running across the penalty area before unleashing a left-footed shot which deflected into the top corner.

By now the Cowfold pressure was relentless and goal number four came on the hour, Wrigley with the cross to Tarrant again for his second.

The hosts brought on the fresh legs of Kris Harding and Tom Easton to further stretch tired Lancing legs.

On 70 minutes Wrigley again showed some classy footwork to beat his man and though his shot was saved, Cowfold’s top scorer Nigel Smith was on hand to make it 5-0.

Phil Marshall was also introduced from the subs bench and he headed only just over from a corner after Dan Dalton had been denied by the save of the match.

There was still time for Greg Brabon to complete a fine hat-trick with a free kick and with it wrap up a highly impressive 6-0 victory.

It keeps up Cowfold’s impressive middle season form and sets them up for next week’s big fixture against Faygate, who lost top spot because of their defeat to Bosham.

Cowfold: Beck, Hatton (Easton 60), Tucker, Pike, Parsons (Harding 60), Tarrant, Dalton, Brabon, Barnett, Wrigley (Marshall 70), Smith.

Premier Division

West Chiltington stumbled to a hugely disappointing 2-1 defeat at high-flying Hunston as they came up short in all departments.

Chilt conceded goals in the opening minutes of each half to Hunston’s only two attempts on target in the game.

The visitors’ only highlight was an expertly taken goal by striker Dan Clayton, who chased down a long clearance to lob the Hunston keeper to briefly level the scores.

A hugley disappointed Chilt boss Keith Tomsett said: “That was our worst performance of the season. We lacked drive, inventiveness and quality and we will need to forget this display quickly if we are to seriously challenge for the title.”

The result puts Chilt four points behind new leaders Hunston and puts a dent in their league ambitions.

A goal-fest of a local derby saw Horsham Trinity battle back from 4-0 down to draw 5-5 with Partridge Green Reserves.

After 14 weeks without a game , visitors Trinity found themselves under pressure right from the start.

Quick passing and some clinical finishing from the hosts saw Green race into a 4-0 lead within 20 minutes before a mazy run by Ric Smith pulled a goal back.

A superb free kick bent around the wall saw Green move further ahead before Trinity’s Ally Russell slotted from six yards out just before the break.

The introduction of Pat Laney to Trinity’s defence, with Max Lee pushed further forward brought a complete change of momentum in the second half.

Ben Mash pounced to bring the score to back to 5-3 before All Russell completed his hat-trick and levelled the scores with two fine headers from pin-point crosses by Matt Clarke.

With only seconds remaining Ben Mash raced clear but was thwarted by a fine save from the onrushing Green keeper to ensure a point apiece for both teams.

Elsewhere in Division 2 North Alfold Firsts drew 0-0 at Faygate Utd Reserves while Alfold Reserves beat Ewhurst 3-0 in Division 3 North