West Sussex Football League round-up: Ups and downs in Intermediate Cup

JPCT 13-10-12 S12420391X  West Sussex League Footy. Southwater v West Chilt. - photo by steve cobb
JPCT 13-10-12 S12420391X West Sussex League Footy. Southwater v West Chilt. - photo by steve cobb

Gary Weedon scored a vital brace, and the winner, as West Chiltington came back from 3-0 down to beat Southwater in the Second Round of the Sussex Intermediate Cup.

Southwater were in cruise control after three goals in the opening 15 minutes, but Chilt were given hope before half time, when Craig Pulling headed in Tom Freeman’s header.

That gave Chilt the impetus they needed, and Weedon hit his first from Dan Leppard’s through ball. They were soon level in contentious style, when the Southwater keeper dropped a cross over the line under pressure from Weedon, who laid on the fourth when Craig Dawson touched in his turn and shot.

Southwater then took advantage of a defensive mix-up to restore parity, but Weedon struck the winner, volleying home after neat play between Dawson and Leppard.

A depleted Barns Green side went down to a fighting 4-2 against Intermediate Cup defeat against County league Ifiield. After going behind, Jack Pestridge elegantly side-footed home a Pete Walker cross.

Green caused problems through Stevie Blick and henry Liley but Ifield proved two strong as two penalties and Barns Green red card helped them take a 4-1 lead. Mark Blick added a more respectability to the score though, prodding home Green’s second.

Cowfold comfortably dispatched Ticehurst 4-1.

Kristian Harding’s thunderous 25-yard shot went in off the post to give Fold a half time lead, despite Ticehurst’s bright start.

A more purposeful second half followed, but not before Ticehurst had scored a contentious leveller. Greg Brabon and Luke Parsons seized control of midfield, and it was Brabon who tapped in the second after Dan Dalton’s shot was saved. James Wrigley slotted in Fold’s third, and Harding wrapped it up when he rounded the keeper.

WSFL Division 2: Alfold had to be patient as they claimed a 2-1 win against Holbrook Reserves.

After a goalless first half in which Fold enjoyed more possession. Robbie Brininger netted the opening goal from the spot, after Zach Grey was clattered.

Holbrook responded with a well worked goal from their Number.10, but Alfold launched wave after wave of attacks, with Brininger awarded their second after he and Karl Bearryman rose to met an Andy Sullivan corner.

Division 5 Central: Partridge Green reserves thumped Petworth Reserves to record their first win of the season.

Keith Miller bagged a hat-trick, and Dan Mabey a brace, while Guy Pettett, Tom Brown and a last minute Jamie Green effort completed the scoring.

Andy Whibley and Matt also impressed as caretaker boss Steve Nyahoe said: “It’s early days, but a great way to chalk up a first win.”

Ryan Durant marked his return to the West Chiltington Reserves side with a brace in their 2-1 win at Southwater III.

His first half goal was cancelled out by a superb long-range strike from Southwater, but he crowned an impressive display by netting after Tom Weedon chased a lost cause.