West Sussex Football League round-up: Striker Smith is Cowfold’s saviour

Matt Warren (2) and Nat Rowland were on target as Holbrook beat Upper Beeding 3-2.
Matt Warren (2) and Nat Rowland were on target as Holbrook beat Upper Beeding 3-2.

Cowfold booked their place in the quarter finals of the Centenary Cup after recovering from a nightmare start against Watersfield.

Two down after 12 minutes from two well placed headers and denied a penalty, it did not look like being Fold’s day.

But they turned it around, netting after 25 minutes through Smith from close range after Kris Harding’s shot was parried. A fluent second half then saw Smith score an 82nd minute penalty force extra time after a foul on Ant Parsons. Smith then fired Fold in front after good work from James Wrigley and Greg Braon, before Craig Deane’s header made sure.

Premier Division

Five goals in the opening 30 minutes saw West Chiltington set-up an outstanding 6-2 defeat of Lavant.

Craig Pulling got the ball rolling when he headed in a Scott Wolters long throw, before he added a second from the spot when Dan Clayton was hauled down.

Dan Lappard’s deflected shot made it 3-0 before Gary Weedon cut in from the right at pace to tee-up Pulling for his hat-trick. Weedon repeated the trick moments later for Charlie Monaghan to prod home at the near post.

Monaghan was culpable when Lavant pulled one back though, getting caught on the ball shortly before half time.

Lavant recovered from the first half blitz to compete well in the second half, Leppard’s chip made it 6-1 before Lavant scored a well worked team goal.

Division 1: Barns Green were left to rue missed chances in a 2-1 loss to Petworth.

After a slow start Green dominated for a spell which saw Ryan Brown’s shot cleared off the line before he hit the bar and he and Mark Blick saw efforts well saved. But after failing to defend a corner, Petworth took a 1-0 lead into the break, and although Stevie Blick slotted a second half penalty, Green were hit on the break as Petworth grabbed a winner ten minutes from time.

Division 5 Central: Ryan Durrant hit a brace as an in-form West Chiltington Reserves ran out 3-2 winners against Billingshurst Athletic.

He swooped on a rebound when Dave Bundock’s shot hit the bar and hit the winner in the second half after Lea Durrant fired home after a goalmouth scramble.

Billingshurst had netted to get back into the game shortly before Lea Durrant’s strike, and despite a late second, Chilt were able to negotiate a nervy last five minutes.

Division 5 North: An under-strength Barns Green produced a plucky performance against Horsham Trinity Thirds in Saturday’s 2-0 defeat.

Chances were rare in the first half but a poacher’s goal put Trinity one up at the break. Green pressed forward in the second half and a good clearance off the line and a superb save by the Trinity keeper kept them in the lead. With Green down to ten men and all subs used, a breakaway goal gave Trinity a two goal cushion. Manager Adam Woodley said he is hoping for better luck against Holbrook this Saturday.