West Sussex Football League round-up : Partridge Green dig deep in nine goal thriller

West Chiltington during the 3-0 defeat of Barnham Reserves
West Chiltington during the 3-0 defeat of Barnham Reserves

Centenary Cup: Partridge Green dug deep to see off a spririted fight back from Lancing United in a 5-4 win.

Green started well, but Lancing took a surprise lead, but Manelfi slid home a Jones corner for the leveller. Another Jones corner found Taylor, whose header hit the bar before he volleyed the rebound home. Five minutes later, and Whales made it 3-1, before Lancing converted a penalty for 3-2 at the break. An unmarked Yates tapped home for Green’s fourth from five yards early in the second half, but when Lancing piled on the pressure, they pulled level with ten minuets to play. The game was finally settled when Lewis Partridge found brother Warren to rifle home the winner.

Malcolm Simmonds Cup

West Chiltington produced an outstanding defensive display as they beat visitors Barnham Reserves 3-0. Chilt hit the deck running put the visiting defence under severe pressure with wingers Tom Freeman and Jack Goatcher having early success. It was no surprise when captain and centre back Scott Wolters seized on a through ball from Craig Pulling to slot home.

The goal galvanised an already rampant home side and Chilt attacks came to nothing until a delightful chipped pass from Gary Weedon put Goatcher in the clear to round the Barnham keeper to give Chilt a two goal advantage at the interval. The third and final goal followed when Dan Lappard tapped home Freeman’s cross.

Division 1

Debutant Ryan Matthews and Steve Blick both score hat tricks as Barns green thrashed Selsey A. Matthews hit his first from a Jon Bacon through ball, and although Selsey hit back to level, Matthews retsored the advantage. A defensive slip and missed Black penalty saw the score level at 2-2 going into the break, but Blicked tapped in the third and added another quick two goals before Mike Brownlee crashed home Ryan Brown’s corner. Brown made it seven and Matthews capped a fine debut with the eighth.

Cowfold Reserves saw off local rivals Southwater 2-1. Rhyse Nash gave Fold the advantage after good work from Mike Nash and Phil Marshall. Southwater capitalised on a slow Fold start in the seocn dhalf, when mark taylor’s cross/shot floated over Ed Morley-Smith, but when Rhyse Nash was upended in the box, Marshall smashed the resulting penalty into the bottom corner.

Division 2

Honours were even between Alfold and Holbrook Reserves entertaining 1-1 draw which could have seen a glut of goals. After early pressure, Fold went in front when Chris Muggeridge ‘s corner was only cleared as far as Adam Saunders where from 15-yards he smashed home. Karl Bearryman spurned a chance to level when through one-on-one and Fold were made to pay when Holbrook levelled from six yards eight minutes into the second half.

Division 3 North

Forest produced a solid all round display to see off a battling Cowfold III and go top of the league. Warren Sweatman gave Forest the advantage from close range, after Oli Smith’s buccanneering run, and James Dickenson swiftly netted the second. Fold got back into it before the break when a free kick found the top corner, but it was one way traffic in the seocn dhalf. Craig Young fired home after his initial shot was saved before Gavin Fowler made it four and Duncan Hillman polished it off with the fifth.

Alfold Reserves toppled league leaders Slinfold in an entertaining 3-2 win. Dan Budd fired home Alfold’s opener before Steve Tasker levelled for Slinfold. But a close range finish from Pat Szymanski and Dane Mitchell’s winner secured the points.

Sussex Challenge Cup

Second round

Ajax Kings Arms matched a Langney Wanderers made up of some of the cream of Sussex football, for long periods of Sunday’s 3-1 defeat. Only a rare lapse in concentration from Rogers allowed Langney to go 1-0 up, as chances fell for Craig Marshall, Osborne and Brazier. Two more goals put the Wanderers in chrge though, and james Long’s expertly taken volley from Clarke’s free kick was no more than a consolation.