West Sussex Football League round up - Henfield reach final

editorial image

HENFIELD soared to a 4-2 victory against a decent Wittering Utd side to reach the final of the Chichester Charity Cup.

Two goals apiece from Steve Scott and Sam Witherden sealed The Magpies’ semi-final victory on Saturday, while Tom Gander put in a man of the match performance to take Henfield to the final in Arundel.

The other semi-final was a cracker as Capel came out on top against Newdigate, eventually winning 7-5.

So Henfield will play Capel in the final on May 7, Bank Holiday Monday, at Arundel, kick off at 10.30am.

Premier League

WEST CHILTINGTON got back to winning ways with a comfortable 2-0 win over Lancing Utd in Saturday’s Premier Division match, Ryan Ashley writes.

Visitors Chilt were much the brighter side in the first half and despite the bumpy, hard pitch and strong cross wind, played some good passing football, creating several goal scoring opportunities, all unfortunately squandered.

It was half an hour gone before centreback Ryan Ashley stepped up to thunder a 25-yard deflected free kick past the startled Lancing ‘keeper, after striker Craig Pulling had been fouled.

As often happens, one goal makes two and only a few minutes later, man of the match Gary Weedon cut in from the right to smash the ball into the roof of the Lancing net.

A 2-0 lead at half-time was deserved reward for the Chilt pressure, but the less said about the second half the better.

Chilt continued to make chances, one in particular from Dan Leppard brought a stunning save from the Lancing keeper, but the longer the game went on the more the difficult conditions ruined the game.

It was a blessed relief when the referee finally blew for time, the three points taking Chilt past last season’s total with one game left to play.

A DEPLETED Billingshurst side put a dent in Upper Beeding’s hopes of finishing in the top two by showing they know how to win ugly.

Facing a side who were second in the league, Hurst were without three of their regular back four but went into the league meeting buoyed by a mid-week win against Barnham.

Beeding started the brighter on a bumpy pitch, and forced a good early save from visiting keeper Tom, and although Hurst huffed and puffed they were unable to carve out any real chances against a resolute defence well marshalled by the impressive Simon Hind.

Hurst grew into the game, Richard Carter becoming more influential and his passing ability saw them get better possession and by getting the ball to Darren Annis, Hurst had a platform on which to build their now more frequent attacks.

Annis had a large part to play in the Hurst goal, which came after 35 minutes when Ash Lewis picked the ball up just inside the Beeding half. He drove forward and found Annis on the edge of the area, who, after holding off his defender played a neat return ball to Lewis who had continued his run into the box and shot under the advancing Beeding keeper.

On 40 minutes Hurst had the perfect opportunity to double their advantage when Annis was nudged in the box, but with regular penalty-taker Groves absent Annis took responsibility, but his weak effort straight down the middle was easily saved by keeper Towse, who also kept out Annis on the rebound.

The second half followed a similar pattern with both sides looking to win it.

Beeding came close to a leveller when a cross/shot cannoned off the crossbar, and Hurst too struck the woodwork when Strevo’s cross saw Annis plant a firm header against the bar as Billingshurst took all three points.

Surrey Junior Cup

THIS SATURDAY, April 7, Alfold host Old Boys Clapham in the Surrey Junior Cup semi-final.

Kick off is 3pm and there will be a special one-off match-day programme.

It should be a cracking game and support is very welcome.