West Chilt go top of West Sussex League

JPCT-14-01-12 S12030240a Cowfold v West Chiltington in the West Sx Football League. The Sports Ground, Bolney Rd, Cowfold -photo by steve cobb
JPCT-14-01-12 S12030240a Cowfold v West Chiltington in the West Sx Football League. The Sports Ground, Bolney Rd, Cowfold -photo by steve cobb

Premier Division - WEST CHILTINGTON won top spot with a hard fought 1-1 draw at Cowfold.

Both sides played very well in a terrific end to end tussle that saw numerous chances made and squandered and no quarter given by either side.

Perhaps the better of the chances and the slight majority of possession fell in Cowfold’s favour and they finally broke the deadlock early in the second half with a close-range header from Dean Robinson.

The Chilt introduced substitutes Dec Jenkins and Kieran Leogue which livened up the attack and freed man-of-the match Gary Weedon into a more forward role. Now it was the Cowfold goal under intense pressure and the visitors did find an equaliser from a Scott Pulling for the point they needed to take over at the top of the league.

Division 1

COWFOLD Reserves took revenge in convincing fashion for their early season defeat by beating hosts Hunston CC 4-1.

On a bumpy pitch Fold took an early lead when Piers McDermott’s through ball sent Stu Ansell away and his low cross was turned in by Michael Nash. It stayed that way until just before half-time when Dan Smith’s delicious low through ball found Nash to lob the advancing keeper for his and Cowfold’s second.

Hunston pulled it back to 2-1 but Ansell’s pin-point cross from the left saw Ant Parsons side foot a volley home from ten yards, and Scott Lancastle then completed a fine performance when he beat two men and crossed for McDermott to net a fourth.

Cowfold: Beck, Brabon, Derbyshire, Smith M, Passfield (c), Lancastle, Parsons L, Ansell, Smith D, McDermott, Nash (Parsons A 78)

BARNS Green and Barnham Reserves battled out a hard fought duel in extremely difficult conditions on a deteriorating pitch. Trailing 2-0, Mark Lane’s clinical finish pulled it back to 2-1 after some fancy foot work in the Barnham box, and though Green had chances for a leveller, a breakaway Barnham goal saw it finish 3-1.

Green: Dumbrill, Constantin, Bacon, Walker, S Pesteridge, Rice, Fowler, J Pesteridge, S Liley, H Liley, Clarke, R Pesteridge, Johnston, Lane

Division 2 North

PULBOROUGH bounced back from a disappointing run to completely out play Upper Beeding and run out massive 8-1 winners.

Boro took an early lead when Sam Grove’s drilled effort was deflected home by a defender and when Gary Stevens was fouled in the box James Smillie made it 2-0 from the spot. Sam Parkinson volleyed home Simon Steven’s cross for a 3-0 half-time lead, and the goals kept coming after the break with Shane West tapping home Parkinson’s corner.

Beeding pulled one back through an own goal but George Graham headed in a fifth, Smillie made it 6-1 with a fine 30 yard free kick, West rounded the keeper and Abraham Greenfield completed the rout, drilling in after Parkinson’s shot struck the post.

Division 3 North

COWFOLD III got back to winning ways after last week’s disappointing defeat with an impressive 4-2 home win against Faygate Utd Reserves.

Cowfold totally controlled the first half going into the interval with a 4-1 lead with goals from Sam Leach, Pat Kitchener, Ali Harvey and man of the match Barry Taulbot. The scoreline rather flattered the visitors as Cowfold also had a penalty saved, hit the woodwork three times and had a string of chances.

The second half was more competitive, though a Cowfold defence marshalled by captain Martin Kemp stood firm until a late Faygate consolation. The game was marred by a broken ankle for youngster Mike Caplin, the club wish him a speedy recovery.

Cowfold: Morley-Smith, Bayne, Jordan, Clifford, Kemp, Leach, Kitchener, Harvey, Lyons, Taulbot, Caplin. Subs: Kingdon, Roussos, Hyde.

Division 4 North

FOLLOWING a two month break, Forest Reserves finally returned to action in some style by beating Horsham Trinity Reserves 4-0.

Forest started the more dominant of the two teams and took only nine minutes to take the lead. A great team move split open the Trinity defence and Barry Ashton’s pin-point cross was clinically finished by Russ Harwood with a header.

A deserved second came 30 minutes in when former Trinity player James Dickenson netted from close range following another good team build up. Forest continued to impress in the second half and only some brilliant work from Trinity goalkeeper Phil Brown and poor finishing saw chances to increase the lead pass.

Substitute Duncan Hillman came on to lash home a superb 20 yard effort in off the post with his very first touch from stand-up skipper Oli Smith’s through ball. Hillman had another two chances to score within five minutes of coming on but couldn’t convert what would have been an incredible hat-trick, but he did net a second and Forest’s fourth late on when Harwood’s shot was saved.

Division 5 Central

DAN CARTER produced a stunning display for West Chiltington Reserves as he netted four goals on his debut in a 7-3 home win over Partridge Green.

Craig Streeter put the hosts ahead after 15 minutes but a defensive mix-up allowed the visitors a simple equaliser and Green soon went 2-1 up with a tremendous free kick that flew into the top corner.

This only spurred Chilt on and they pulled level with a fine goal from Dan Holden and took the lead just before the break with Carter’s first goal.

The hosts took control in the second period and it took less than a minute for Holden to get his second and not much longer for Carter to do the same. The visitors did pull a goal back to make it 5-3 but two further goals from Carter sealed a fine victory for Chilt.