Steyning put Eastbourne humbling behind them with a battling point at Haywards Heath

Haywards Heath (blue) v Steyning. Pic Steve Robards SUS-140329-213658001
Haywards Heath (blue) v Steyning. Pic Steve Robards SUS-140329-213658001

Steyning Town bounced back from their 9-0 mid-week humiliation at FA Vase semi-finalists Eastbourne United AFC with a hard-fought point at fourth placed Haywards Heath.

Town made a few changes, with Matt Dodd remaining at centre back, Ashley Finch moving out on the left and Rose returning in goal replacing Matt Evans who has left the club for Shoreham.

From the off a strong a physical Heath side looked to stamp their authority on the game knowing that a win was essential to keep their promotion hopes alive.

In the early stages it was end to end as Heath played some nice constructive football, while Town were a threat through the eager running of Clark.

It was Heath who made the early breakthrough when a cross was whipped in to the far post, eluding everybody, and Ben Hall was left with the simplest of chances to nod home.

Steyning were by now really on the back foot and Heath had numerous chances to extend their lead, Rose with one excellent tip over as the visitors were happy to go into half-time just 1-0 down.

The second half was a more even affair with Heath edging the early stages as they went after the elusive second goal, though they were again wayward with their shooting.

Around the hour mark Steyning’s defence and midfield began to get a foothold in the game, and the introduction of Adam Burton and Bilal helped turn the game in their favour.

Clark was still causing problems with his direct running and the midfield were starting to push numbers in to the box.

It was from one of these forays in the 84th minute that the equaliser came. Lee Early raced forward from right back and created the overlap, he then whipped in a cross with pace and dip that eluded the home keeper and nestled in the top left hand corner.

The goal rocked the hosts, and sensing blood Steyning roared forward in the final minutes, Mo Shug’aa and Clark going close as it finished 1-1.