Mixed fortunes for Fold sides and Forest steamroll Holbrook

JPCT-21-01-12 S12040556a  West Sussex Football League: Forest Res v Holbrook 3rd at Roffey Sports & Social Club -photo by steve cobb
JPCT-21-01-12 S12040556a West Sussex Football League: Forest Res v Holbrook 3rd at Roffey Sports & Social Club -photo by steve cobb

Premier League

FOR THE second game running a late defensive error cost Cowfold two points, this time in a 2-2 draw against a very strong Chichester University team.

After Fold stopper James Fisher had been tested with a couple of wind assisted long-range efforts Chi took the lead but Cowfold hit back, and following their best spell of the game Nigel Smith put Tom Whiting in behind the full back and he finished brilliantly.

Cowfold were put under pressure in the second half but survived and took the lead with an outstanding 25 yard strike from Craig Deane. Fold looked set for the points but a poor late piece of defending saw the defence fail to clear on three occasions and keeper Fisher’s desperate lunge gave away a penalty which Chichester converted for a deserved point.

Fold: Fisher, Whiting, Tucker, Pike, Hatton, Brabon, Wrigley, Deane, Robinson, Smith, Whiting. Subs: Barnett, Dalton.

Division 1

IN BLUSTERY conditions at Petworth, Cowfold Reserves secured their second away win of the month.

Playing with the wind in the first half, Fold eventually settled to take the lead when wing-back Scott Lancastle surged down the left and squared to Dan Smith to smash home.

Cowfold doubled their lead before half-time when Piers McDermott rounded the keeper. In the second half the hard working Michael Nash came close before man of the match Matt Brabon flashed in a volleyed third from McDermott’s cross, and a late Petworth penalty could not ruin a fine 3-1 win.

Fold: Beck, Brabon, Derbyshire, Easton, Passfield (c), Lancastle, Parsons L, Smith D (Smith M 85), Ansell, McDermott, Nash (Carter 75).

Division 3 North

COWFOLD III had to settle for a well-earned point after fighting back to earn a 2-2 draw away to Pulborough II.

A much-improved Pulborough side adapted to the windy conditions better to lead 2-0 at the break. Some stern words and change of formation saw Cowfold dominate after the break and a fine brace from veteran striker and man of the match Ant Parsons put them on level terms.

Fold missed chances to win the game and Pulborough hit the post with a late penalty as both sides settled for a point.

Fold: Morley-Smith, Bayne, Harvey, Clifford, Kemp, Leach, Kitchener, Kerridge, Parsons, Taulbot, Nash. Subs: Kingdon, Hinton.

Division 4 North

A SECOND half onslaught saw Forest Reserves eventually run out 4-0 victors over local rivals Holbrook III (pictured by Steve Cobb)

Forest were unable to find a breakthrough against a hard-working Holbrook side in the first 45 minutes, although Russ Harwood did strike a post. A strike from Barry Ashton, from Craig Young’s assist, early in the second half set Forest on their way and soon Oli Smith teed up Ben Clements to unleash an unstoppable second.

Forest continued to dominate and when a Nathan Sleat free kick was too hot to handle for the Holbrook keeper, captain Smith was on hand to tap home the rebound and Duncan Hillman set up Harwood for his 24th goal of the season late on.

Forest: Small, Hillman, D Shorey. S Shorey, Sleat, Clements, Smith. Young, Dickenson, Harwood, Ashton. Subs: D Clark, Perry, Sweatman.

Division 5 North

BARNS Green Reserves recorded a third straight victory over a resilient Horsham Sparrows.

Green got off to the worst possible start, conceding early as a result of a mix up in the make shift defence, but parity was soon restored when Mark Blick equalised with a magnificently executed finish.

Moments later Mark Lane put Green in front with a trade mark header from a beautiful pinpoint cross from winger Karl Johnston. For much of the first half Green kept pressing for a third but Sparrows stood firm.

On a heavy pitch chances came and went for both sides in the second half before Karl Johnston converted a third for Green.

A rejuvenated Sparrows pulled a second back from another error, and Green had to grit their teeth to see off a late surge for another valuable three points.

Horsham & District Sunday League

Division 1

IN AJAX’S 16-year history they had never before drawn a league game 0-0 until Saturday’s meeting with Lancing Town.

Nick Cooke made a decent save early on but after that countless chances were spurned, scuffed or fluffed.