Lacklustre Hornets crash at home to Folkestone

Football.Ryman League South Division. Horsham v Guernsey. Action from the match. Picture Liz Pearce. LP270914FH21 SUS-140927-202047008
Football.Ryman League South Division. Horsham v Guernsey. Action from the match. Picture Liz Pearce. LP270914FH21 SUS-140927-202047008

A lacklustre Horsham display saw them crash to a 3-0 defeat at home to Folkestone this afternoon.

It was the Hornets’ eighth defeat of the season and an alarming one with such a laboured showing from the hosts.

Goals from Paul Booth, Ian Draycott and Frankie Chappell saw the visitors run out comfortable winners as Horsham failed to muster a shot on target in the second half.

The absence of striker Jamie Cade was telling as Horsham failed to test Folkestone stopper Tim Roberts.

Draycott ghosted in behind the Horsham back four early on, but his cross well collected by Gareth Williams.

With both side sizing each other up there was little action in the opening stages, with Horsham just lacking the final ball on a couple of occasions.

On 15 minutes, Gareth Williams made a fine stop to deny Chappell at point-blank range after a teasing Nat Blanks cross, but the flag was up for offside against the Invicta man.

A driven free kick fortunately crashed into the wall after a harsh handball was given against Byron Napper after the ball struck the defender’s back.

Gareth Williams then made two good saves in quick succession, one to block Draycott’s effort with his legs after the striker went through one on one and the other, tipping over a fierce Booth drive.

The visitors took the lead on 36 minutes after a period of sustained pressure. Gareth Williams and Charman both went for the same ball from a corner and it dropped for Booth, who nodded home from sevens yards.

Horsham almost replied immediately as Ross Morley slipped his man and delivered across the goal line, but it averted everyone and Troy Williams put wide from a tight angle.

Tony Nwachukwu also then fired across goal and narrowly wide after out muscling Blanks to the right of the area.

Folkestone added a second a minute before the break as a ball over Charman’s head on the left was crossed for Draycott to acrobatically volley at the far post after Gareth Williams could only palm it away from goal.

Jamie Hills replaced Billy-Joe King, who was making his 100th appearance in a Horsham shirt, at half-time as the hosts attempted to get back into the game by switching Ross Morely into midfield, putting Troy Williams up top and Miller out wide.

On 61 minutes, substitute Harry Smith gifted the ball to Booth, who in turn played in Draycott, but he got his lobbed effort completely wrong.

Four minutes later, however, Folkestone wrapped up the points as Chappell headed home at the far post after a corner.

Williams then prevented a fourth as he tipped over a driven Darren Smith free kick.

Horsham were denied a late consolation after a great turn and cross by Napper, but Nwachukwu was offside when turning home at the far post.

Horsham: Williams, Hamilton, Gilbert (Frankland 73), Charman, King (Hills 45), T.Williams, Napper, Tarbie, Morley, Nwachukwu, Miller (Ampleford 59). Unused subs: Smith, Varley.