Horsham Youth Football update: Roffey suffer first loss and Tanbridge reach final

Tanbridge House under-13s
Tanbridge House under-13s

Top of the table Roffey under-18s suffered a first defeat of the season, going down 5-2 in a local derby against Horsham Sparrows.

Goals from Ollie Rivers and Chris Nicholson twice put Roffey ahead, but dogged Sparrows defending and some well taken goals saw them run out winners.


Tanbridge House girls’ squad has made history by reaching the National Schools Cup semi finals for the first time.

A 3-1 defeat of Shenfield High School from Essex sealed their place in the last four, and all goals came in an entertaining second half. Captain Natalie Taylor had marshalled her defence well, but Shenfield started to take the upper hand, and were rewarded with a goal soon after the break. Tanbridge responded with a reshuffle which saw Mia Frost come off the bench and Taylor pushed forward. And soon enough the scores were level, as Bronwen Thomas linked up well with Taylor and the Horsham school’s captain lashed home the leveller. A second came ten minutes from the end through Bronwen Thomas, and with Shenfield pressing for a late leveller Tanbridge broke and Bronwen Thomas crossed for Imogen Thomas to net the decisive third.

Charlotte Broughton, PE teacher, said: “We are lucky to have such a thoroughly talented team full of hard working and committed individuals. The school is extremely proud of the girls and their achievements.”

Squad: Chloe Brailey, Becky Waller, Anabelle Edwards, Hannah Boxhall, Kristie Kear, Sophia Dixon-Cave, Natalie Taylor, Bronwen Thomas, Eddie Tippins, Imogen Thomas, Megan Collis, Lucy Wright, Israel Harding, Abbie Dobson, Mia Frost, Lizzie Turner.


Jack Haines scored twice as Broadbridge Heath extended their good run with a 5-0 defeat of Horsham Tigers,

A solo Haines effort put Heath in front at the break, while second half goals from Harry Haines, Tyler Symonds and an own goal moved Heath clear. The win was capped by an excellent move involving Harry Haines, finished by Jack Haines which earned both players a share of the man of the match award.

Roffey Robins kept their title hopes alive as they joined Steyning and Chesworth in a three-way tie at the top of the table with a 4-2 defeat of Cranleigh.

James Pearse set Robins on their way in the fifth minute, but the lead was wiped out when Cranleigh soon levelled. Pearse made it 2-1 though, and Morgan Spooner’s brilliant strike gave Roffey a 3-1 half time advantage. Roffey dominated with the two-goal cushion and a Spooner tap-in made it 4-1 before Cranleigh took advantage of tired legs late on to grab a second.


Kai Oram bagged a brace as Roffey Robins wrapped-up the Horsham & District Youth League Division C title with a 4-2 win against East Grinstead Town, with two games to spare.

The Robins had to recover from going a goal behind, as a penalty from Jake Relleen and Rhys Todman’s poached finish saw them take a 2-1 half time lead.

Roffey turned on the style in the second half, playing manager Dan East’s passing game with Jamie Wood dominant in midfield. Oram was lively t00 and his two goals made the difference, although Grinstead did give themselves hope of a fightback with a second goal. Roffey have dropped just three points so far this season and scored 45 goals.