Horsham Youth Football round-up: Sparrows grounded by Roffey

Horsham Sparrows girls under-15s
Horsham Sparrows girls under-15s

Under-18: Roffey claimed the local bragging rights as they knocked Horsham Sparrows out of the U18 Challenge Cup in style with a 6-2 victory.

In a hard-fought contest, Roffey were clinical in front of goal with Chris Nicholson helping himself to four goals. Tom Barnes was also on target and a little gem from Dan Whittick made it six. Sparrows goals came from Dan Barna and James Rogers with a superb solo effort.

Horsham Youth beat Bromley Youth 3-1 in the 1st round of The John Ullmann Memorial Cup.

The Hornets started the game well and had the Kent side under pressure early on. A goal from Jake Legrange after 15 minutes gave them the lead and ten minutes later George Hole cut in from the left and beat four players before finishing in the bottom corner to make it 2-0.

Bromley rallied in the second half and deservedly pulled one back but the Horsham back four, marshalled by skipper Greg Gander held firm and keeper Lewis Blaney, pictured, made some good saves. Late on a sweeping move saw Zach Haulkham make the game safe. Horsham go to either Tonbridge Angels or Hollands and Blair in Rnd 2.


Horsham progressed into the Second Round of the League Cup after beating arch rivals Highdown Saints in an eight goal thriller.After going in 2-2 at the break Horsham turned on the gas to run out 5-3 winners with goals from Aaron Pyzer, Will Kerr, Alex Moore (two) and Andrew Roberts.


Lower Beeding Lions leapt to the top of the table with a 5-1 victory over St Pauls Panthers. Lions took control from the kick off, and in a whirlwind 15 minutes found themselves 3-0 up, with goals from Joe Wright, Liam Ruz and Andrew Roberts. St Pauls settled with good possession but had a man sent off for dissent just before half time. Still St Pauls pulled one back at the start of the second half with a Lions own goal, though Lions added two more goals from Jacob Dean and Aaron Pyzer. Adam Ruz was Lions’ man of the match.

Horsham Sparrows went into their match with Hurstpierpoint on a high after last week’s 11-1 win. And when a George Leigh shot was handballed by a Hurst player their opponents were reduced to ten men. Leigh scored the penalty but despite several chances the Sparrows lost 3-1.

Horsham Sparrows Under-15 girls are all smiles after continuing their unbeaten start to the season. After going a goal down against Worthing, goals from Juliette Berry and a screamer from Megan Stonestreet put Sparrows ahead. Worthing pegged them back but a stunning solo goal from Charlotte Long sealed a 3-2 Sparrows win. POTM: Hope Laker.


Two goals from Charlie Stack and a David Healy strike could not prevent Horsham Sparrows going down 6-3 to Chesworth Youth. Sam Turner was man of the match.

Horsham Sparrows U13 girls continued their unbeaten run with a fantastic 12-2 win over Worthing Rebels - a very harsh result on their opponents. Top of the table Sparrows built on their three previous wins and Jordan Bunday netted her second successive hat-trick. Further goals came from Fliss Love (two), Alex Malzer (two), Megan Collis (two), Bronwen Thomas (two), Jasmine Younger. Zoe Moore was solid in goal and the back four of Sarah Pepper, Grace Perkins, Fiona McMartin and Katheryn Otley were all solid.


Chesworth Rovers maintained their 100 per cent start to the season with a 7-1 victory over league newcomers Brockham Badgers. Brockham played some neat football and restricted Chesworth to a 2-0 lead at half time, but the home team asserted their dominance after the break and their strength in all departments gradually wore the visitors down. Jack Frankland scored a hat-trick, with Henry Browning contributing two late goals. Josh Baker and Harry Bryant nabbed one each, the latter a beautiful lob after a smart three-pass break from defence.

Horsham Sparrows came within five minutes of beating league leaders Eastbourne at their home ground in a hard-fought 2-2 draw. Eastbourne took the lead in the first minute but the Sparrows fought back with goals from Daisy Beddall and a Hannah Gardner penalty. Eastbourne scored late on to draw an exciting high quality match.


Partridge Green beat Hurstpierpoint 5-3 in a highly entertaining cup tie in which both teams played some outstanding football. Twice the visitors took the lead and twice the Green hit back, first through Luke Hill and then Henry James-Gibson to make it 2-2 at the break. Green started the second half strongly and a super strike from Oliver Young, an own goal and a Cameron James-Gibson strike put them three clear. Hurst fought back with a third and Green keeper Jack Bridle made some important saves to secure the win.