Horsham Youth Football round-up: Sparrows back to their best

Horsham Sparrows under-18s bounced back to their best with a 4-1 defeat of Felpham Colts.

Horsham Sparrows 4, 
Felpham Colts 1

Horsham Sparrows bounced back to their best with a 4-1 defeat of Felpham Colts. Into their rhythm straight from kick off, the Sparrows moved the ball around nicely before James Rogers latched onto Jamie Gandy’s sublime delivery to make it 1-0. A well taken glancing header brought Felpham level just before the break, but the Sparrows responded in style in the second half, with a poached goal from Dan Barna, a Jobe Wolfe bullet header and Dan Stutchbury’s neat volley which capped a polished performance. George Baker was named man of the match.

Roffey 4, Bosham 4

Chris Nicholson bagged a brace as Roffey remained top of the table with an entertaining 4-3 defeat of Bosham. The hosts made Roffey work for their win, and despite hitting the frame of the goal seven times, strikes from Connor Messenger, Zach Black and Nichol’s double sealed the win. Man of the match was Ollie Rivers.


Horsham 3, 
Midhurst & Easebourne 3

Horsham Youth had to settle for a point from their trip to a gutsy Midhurst and Easebourne. It started well for the visitors, who took the lead after only three minutes when Rueben Selby made the most of some sloppy defending to fire low into the bottom left hand corner. After that however, the young Hornets looked sluggish, giving the opposition far too much time on the ball, and providing very few options when they had it themselves. And when Midhurst took a quick, short corner, Horsham were caught unawares and the Midhurst midfielder eventually stabbed home from close range. This stirred Horsham into a response, as Will Kerr and Callum Nash went close, and early in the second half Selby combined with Harry Lee to set up Glenn Johnson, who fired home from just inside the box. And within three minutes it was 3-1, as Nash was brought down in the box, and Kerr stepped up to dispatch the resulting spot kick. But with the visitors thinking the game was won, they took their foot off the gas and allowed Midhurst to fight their way back into the game. Ben Legg pulled off a fine save, but Midhurst made it 3-2 from the resulting corner, and three minutes from time, the hosts’ striker slid the ball home from close range.


Horsham Sparrows 1, 
Lingfield 2

A downhearted Horsham Sparrows were expecting sa tough battle against Lingfield on the back of last week’s defeat and they were proved right in a tough encounter. Some tough tackling from also-relegated Lingfield set the tone, and they netted the opener from a well worked break. Sparrows were given the chance to level when awarded a penalty later in the first half, and although Noah Chinn’s shot was saved Joe Gandy reacted sharply to the follow up and bagged Sparrows the equaliser. A few minutes later, a Lingfield player earned himself a yellow card, for a badly judged tackle from behind. After the break both teams were going for the win. But it was Lingfield who came out on top thanks to a goal midway through the second half. Sparrows’ man of the match was Fraser McAteer.

Horsham Sparrows Girls 4, 
Newhaven 0

Horsham Sparrows Girls’ winning streak went on with an emphatic 4-0 defeat of former Division A side Newhaven. The Sparrows were gritty and determined throughout, as Charlotte Long, Abbie Sandle’s first goal for the team and two from Amber Sherwood wrapped up the victory. Player of the match was Georgina Lilburn for her dogged determination to break up Newhaven’s attacks.

Eastbourne Town Blue 0, 
Horsham 10

Horsham ran riot in a stunning display of attacking football to fire ten past Eastbourne Town Blue. The young Hornets were off the mark as early as the second minute when a high clearance from the Horsham defence was allowed to bounce with Liam Clarke taking a gamble as he sprinted past the Eastbourne back line to go through on goal. The ‘keeper saved but parried it back to Clarke who netted on his second attempt. Clarke set up Horsham’s second four minutes later after a nice flick from Niall Miller put him through and he squared the ball across goal where Nick Bristow pounced on an attempted Eastbourne clearance. Clarke bagged his second from a brave header following a super cross from Finn Bigg on the right which he put right into the danger area and Horsham were cruising. Horsham refused to throttle back too, as Bristow scored his second after 25 minutes, latching on to a great ball from Miller between the left back and central defender calmly shooting low across the goal. Horsham’s 5th was an own goal with Kerr picking out Miller, who had switched over to the left, with a pin point pass and he fired in a cross at pace where the Eastbourne defender slid it into his own net. Horsham peppered the Eastbourne goal from distance with Miller and Bristow both coming close but off target. Horsham were producing some crisp passing, and went 6-0 up when Clarke finally got his hat-trick on the stroke of half time, heading in Bigg’s corner. The Hornets did not have to wait long in the second half to make it seven, Miller controlled with one touch and then slotted the ball between the keeper’s legs. The lads were relaxed and creative in their passing and movement but found that they could still be punished by Eastbourne who were battling on. A slip put Eastbourne through on goal but ‘keeper Jack Reeves came out quickly to smother at the striker’s feet to keep a clean sheet. Horsham reacted with another goal from Bigg, again set up by Miller, with a well weighted pass between the defenders where Bigg was too quick to be stopped. Bigg scored his second, and Horsham’s 9th, with a turn and shot from the edge of the penalty area. Harry Batchelor was working hard down the right and managed to dance his way past several defenders through sheer persistence and footwork; unfortunately becoming surrounded by defenders at the six yard box where the ball broke loose to Clarke who thumped home for his 4th of the game to round off a solid team performance leaving Manager Richard Wootton very content.


Horsham Sparrows Girls 3
Newhaven Girls 0

Horsham Sparrows girls beat Newhaven Girls 3-0 thanks to an energetic and skilful display. Ellie Hutchinson’s header gave the Sparrows a 1-0 lead before goals from Charlie Simpson and Ava Hutson consolidated the advantage. In the second half. Hannah Gardner saved a penalty and Katie McGrane stood out in defence, while Madeleine Davies was awarded girl of the game.


Chesworth Rovers 5
Storrington Vipers 3

Chesworth Rovers knew their first home game of the season would be tough one against Storrington Vipers. But the Rovers started well as some slick, quick passes between Daniel Christer and Ben Cole in the midfield that opened up the Vipers defence, allowed Chesworth to take the lead. Storrington fought back quickly to make the game level again. And the Vipers nearly took the lead when their forward’s under-hit shot could have crossed the line before James Marsh, who was having his best game for Rovers, stuck out a long leg and booted the ball clear. Just before half time a well worked run by Rovers allowed Callum Jones to score his first Chesworth goal. But the Vipers continued to battle, but had no answer to Rovers, as Christian Burgess, Ben Cole and Dion Clouden all netted. A loss of concentration allowed Storrington to secure a consolation goal in the final minutes of the game.


Southwater’s Royal United have issued a plea for help after missing out on a shirt sponsor for the current season. After being let down by their current sponsor, the Royals need someone to step in and help. Sponsorship costs £350 for the season which includes company logo on the shirt fronts and advertising on the club website. Many other benefits are included. So, if you can help, visit the Royal United page on Facebook to discover how.

Football extra

Thakeham Village FC are on the lookout for new players of all ages. They are looking for male players aged 18-35 for their first season starting in September 2013. Visit Thakeham Village FC’s Facebook page for more information.

Bowls extra

Short mat bowls: Mannings Heath White Squirrels suffered a disastrous defeat in their trip to Reigate Park. After finding it tough to gets to terms with the away venue, one mat lost by 34 shots, while A Budden, R Exler, R Archer and J Baylis went down by three shots in the 60-23 overall defeat. The other mat saw C Pound, J Edes, B Miles, D Budden lose 40-6. But earlier in the week, against Chanctonbury Foxes, the Squirrels ran out impressive 63-22 winners. G Smith, A Morris, K Clark, J Burton-Gow won 36-13 and G palmer, j Williams, D Roberts, K Williams won 27-9. Turn to page 105 for more bowls results and news from Ashington, Southwater, Horsham and The Martlets

Bridge extra

Adur Valley BC: Steyning Friday October 5: 1 Sandra Dennison & Roger Stevens, 2 Jack Vidler & Phil Turner, 3 Ken Moore & Dick Francis, 4 Shirley Price & Margaret F Harrison; Storrington: Monday October 8: North/South: 1 Marjorie Paterson & Peter Lines, 2 Trevor Hunter & Roger Herman, 3 Lueen Francis & Chris Andrews, 4 Joy & Mick Hoolahan