Horsham District Football Round up: West Chilt shock cup holders

JPCT 220912  Slinfold beat TD Shipley Reserves 3-0. Photo by Derek Martin
JPCT 220912 Slinfold beat TD Shipley Reserves 3-0. Photo by Derek Martin

West Chiltington sprung a surprise by dispatching holders Sussex Intermediate Cup holders Newhaven in a pulsating match which finished 4-1.

Chilt looked threatening in the opening exchanges against their County League visitors, with Dan Leppard and Gary Weedon menacing. It was Weedon who gave Chilt the lead when he headed in a pinpoint Craig Pulling cross. That sparked a reaction from Newhaven though, and they levelled from a ‘soft’ goal after a spell of pressure.

The hosts started the second period at a high tempo and they rocked Newhaven with two goals in quick succession. First, Pulling stabbed the ball home after the visitors’ keeper dropped a Weedon free-kick and then Leppard outpaced the Newhaven defence to dink the ball over the keeper’s head and into an empty net. With the job done, Weedon wrapped up the scoring when he thumped home a shot from Leppard’s pass.

“That was as good as it gets,” purred Chilt manager Keith Tomsett. “We matched them all over the pitch and had the quality where it mattered, in front of goal. We have never got past the second round of this cup before and we are desperate to go at least one better this year.”

Barns Green dumped Storrington Reserves out of the Intermediate Cup in thrilling fashion.

Green began slowly and nearly fell behind after ten minutes when the woodwork was rattled, and Storrington went in front on the half hour.

There was a significant improvement after the break from Green, as Jon Bacon kept the prolific James Peake under wraps and Green surged forward with lively sub Mark Blick causing problems. Green levelled on 70 minutes with a fine finish from Henry Liley after good work from Jack Pestridge.

Green poured forward in extra time and chances went begging until three minutes from the end a wonderful save from Jay Dumbrill prevented the Swans from regaining the lead.

Seconds later super sub Ryan Brown lashed home a spectacular winner for the Green to start wild scenes amongst the players and fans.

Barns Green now travel to County League outfit Ifield in the second round

Green: Dumbrill, S Pestridge, Walker, Dawson, Bacon (c), J Pestridge, Moore, Tico, S Liley, H Liley, S Blick. Subs Used: M Blick, A Rice, R Brown.

West Sussex Football League

Division 1

Ali Green bagged a brace as Southwater impressed in a 6-1 defeat of Clymping.

Green started the rout, and the lead was doubled when Matt Topsidelis scored mid-way through the first half. Mark Barnard then released Green to volley home his second goal of the day, and Southwater were firmly in control at half time.

Within a minute of the restart a tidy finish from Carl Petros made it 4-0, however Clymping did score a consolation to make it 4-1. Southwater continued to carve-out chances and increased the lead when Byron Mansfield headed in from close range, and the scoring was completed when Barnard burst down the right, and exchanged passes with man-of-the-match Scott Cox before he slid the ball under the keeper for the sixth goal.

Division 2

Alfold produced a disciplined display to take all three points against a Horsham Trinity side searching for their first of the season.

Trinity started brightly, but gifted Fold the opening goal midway through the first half. Sean Lee went down inside the box after a clear push, and Robbie Brininger sent the keeper the wrong way with the resulting penalty for a 1-0 lead.

The goal allowed Alfold to settle, and their passing was crisper after the break, and when Andy Sullivan fed Karl Bearryman, for the second goal the visitors made sure of the points. Fold might have had a third, but Russ Thorne’s header was well saved.

Worthing and Horsham

Sunday league

Invitation Cup First Round

A stunning second half fightback saw Southwater recover from 5-1 down to win a dramatic penalty shoot-out 6-5 against FC Gyro.

Chris Spiers cancelled out Gryo’s early opener with a well placed header, but it was all one-way traffic after that as Gyro raced into a 5-1 advantage at half time.

Southwater improved in the second half though, and Kieran Grieg gave them hope of a fightback with a goal 25 minutes from time. Ben Brooker then added two quick-fire goals, making it 5-4 with an effort from the edge of the box with ten minutes to play.

Gyro were left to cling on to their lead in a frantic finish, and Southwater’s pressure paid off when Brooker completed his hat-trick to draw level at 5-5.

Extra time was goalless, sending the tie to penalties. Mark Barnard, Paul Osborne, Matt Boxall and Lovett were successful from the spot, and after Gyro hit the post with their second penalty Brooker could have won it, but saw his saved.

Southwater eventually won it in sudden death, Jack Mainstone netted before Jon Symonds’ excellent save allowed Spiers to win it in dramatic fashion.

Ajax Kings Arms were left to rue the bad weather which scuppered their slick passing game – but still ran out 2-0 winners against a spirited The Village.

Brazier, Bishop, Bradshaw and Barr, sounding more like the Trumpton fire brigade than a football team, all went close in the first half but Ajax were thwarted until Barr scrambled home a Thomas corner in the second half and Osborne scored from 12 yards to make the game safe.