Horsham 4, Hythe 1: Impressive Hornets back to winnings ways

JPCT 120914 S14390748x Football, FA Cup - Horsham v Kingstonian -photo by Steve Cobb SUS-140915-085713001
JPCT 120914 S14390748x Football, FA Cup - Horsham v Kingstonian -photo by Steve Cobb SUS-140915-085713001

Horsham got back to winning ways in impressive style tonight as they cruised to an important 4-0 victory over visitors Hythe Town.

It was the Hornets’ first win in four matches in all competitions and only their second of the season in the Ryman League South Division.

Ross Morley’s first-half goal gave the home side a 1-0 lead at the break, before goals from Junior Kaffo, Troy Williams and own goal put them 4-0 ahead, although Hythe did net a late consolation through Ryan Philpott.

Horsham made two changes from Saturday as Kaffo returned at centre-back, with Byron Napper moving into central midfield.

With full-backs Lewis Hamilton and Billy Joe -King absent, Jamie Hills started with Kieron Tarbie dropping into right-back.

Troy Williams, who signed a one-month loan deal from Grays Athletic, was named amongst the substitutes, as was Glen Woodburn after a recent hamstring injury.

Horsham asked the early questions with plenty of possession and Gary Charman’s free header from Tony Nwachukwu’s cross proved an easy pick-up for goalkeeper Dan Eason.

A Nwachukwu header glanced across the face of goal, while at the other end Michael Yianni’s cross-shot was tipped over the bar by Gareth Williams, before Sam Conlon poked just wide of the post.

Horsham took the lead in the 19th minute as the Morley’s volleyed effort from just inside the box took a wicked deflection off Laurence Harvey and dropped into the corner, with Eason rooted to the spot.

Troy Williams got an early entrance on 30 minutes after Jamie Appleford received a blow to the head, and the new man joined Charman up front.

A minute later, Hythe had the ball in the net as Gareth Williams spilled the ball from a corner, but the whistle had gone for a foul.

Gareth Williams took the sting out of a fierce Ryan Philpott effort on 38 minutes and killed the ball, before another effort whistled past the post.

Hornets almost doubled their lead with four minutes of the half to play as a Nwachukwu run saw the ball fall to Harry Smith, but his shot was cleared off the line by Jack Sullivan.

Charman was forced off at half-time with Woodburn coming off the bench to sit in at centre-back, while Kaffo, who had defended superbly in the first half, switched to a forward role.

The versatile Horsham player continued his fine performance by adding a second goal on 51 minutes. Kaffo chased down Harvey, picked his pocket and smashed past Eason.

Horsham held a decent Hythe spell just before the hour mark as Yianni’s effort from 23 yards was pushed wide by Gareth Williams.

From the resulting corner, James Morrish’s header crashed off the bar, before Harvey’s followed up was cleared off the line.

On 58 minutes, Horsham had a third as a Hythe centre-back headed Troy Williams’ corner into his own net under pressure from Harry Smith.

Back at the other end, Gareth Williams made a point-blank diving save from Yianni’s effort, before turning away Simba Nyaruwa’s angled effort.

Troy Williams was then gifted the ball from goalkeeper Eason, after more good work from Kaffo, and he stroked home into an empty net from 30 yards on 78 minutes.

Hythe did pull back a late consolation goal as Philpott headed across Gareth Williams on 89 minutes.

Horsham: G.Williams, Tarbie, Kaffo, Gilbert, Hills, Nwachukwu (Bingham 83), Morley, Napper, Smith, Charman (Woodburn 45), Ampleford (T.Williams 30). Unused subs: Gibson, Blaney.

Hythe: Eason, Stevenson, Harvey, Pleau, Sullivan, Yianni, Cloke (Carr 50), Morrish, Pilcher ( Nyaruma 69), Philpott, Conlon. Unused subs: Walker, Amor. Attd: 170.

Full reaction in Thursday’s paper.