Heath taught finishing lesson by Rangers

Football. Sussex League. Hassocks v Broadbridge Heath. Action from the match. Picture Liz Pearce. 'LP041014FH02
Football. Sussex League. Hassocks v Broadbridge Heath. Action from the match. Picture Liz Pearce. 'LP041014FH02
Share this article

Broadbridge Heath were taught a lesson in finishing as they crash out of the Sussex Senior Cup at St Francis Rangers last night.

Despite creating more chances and having the lion share of possession, Heath again failed to convert their chances as they went down 3-1 in the first-round tie.

Heath started brightly with Piers McDermott having a shot deflected straight into the arms of the St Francis keeper Rob Gordon, but it was the home side who went in front on eight minutes.

Stand-in keeper Andy Howard came for a right-wing cross from James Westlake, but the ball swerved in midair forcing Howard to back-track, and despite his best endeavors the Heath stopper could only palm the ball into the path of Stephen Smith, who scored from close range.

In the final 10 minutes of the half, McDermott floated a free kick into the Saints penalty area and Ollie Moore rose above everyone to power a header straight into the arms of Gordon.

Minutes later Saz Bidgood hit a right-foot shot just over the crossbar, while, in the 42nd minute, Bidgood dribbled past two defenders on the edge of the penalty area, went to poke the ball into the net and was clattered to the ground by a defender.

Moore dispatched the penalty for his seventh goal of the season with the defender lucky to escape with only a yellow card.

Heath again started well in the second half, Moore cut in from the right and hit a left-foot shot straight at Gordon and minutes later, McDermott shot just wide of the post.

Butt with only their second shot on target, the home-side made it 2-1 when Westlake scored direct from a free kick from 20 yards.

As Heath pressed for an equaliser, Legrange beat the defence but dwelt too long on the ball and Gordon came out to block his shot, Bidgood pulled a shot wide of the post when well placed, and substitute Finn Creedon took one touch too many and Gordon pounced.

Deep into injury-time, Heath were awarded a corner and pushed everyone up in search of the equaliser, including goal keeper Andy Howard, the ball came out to a Saints player who smashed it forward and Josh Bryant latched onto the ball to score their third goal.

Heath can quickly make amends for that defeat when they play host to St Francis Rangers in a league match on Saturday at the Leisure Centre, where they will welcome back goalkeeper Michael Chester, Matt Carruthers, Danny Mobsby, Rob Godfrey and Stuart Chester.

Heath: Howard, Bevan, Sultan, Flack, Attwater, Waddingham Moore, McDermott, McNab (Bhujun 73), Legrange (Creedon 80), Bidgood.