Four-goal Holmes inspires Broadbridge Heath

JPCT 10-12-12 S12500583X  Football Broadbridge Heath v Oakwood -photo by Steve Cobb
JPCT 10-12-12 S12500583X Football Broadbridge Heath v Oakwood -photo by Steve Cobb

Jake Holmes led the way with four goals as Broadbridge Heath made light work of Oakwood in Saturday’s 5-0 win.

The striker took his tally to 17 this season, and he started the rout after five minutes. Ross Swaine and Grant Miller combined well before Jamal Sultan’s low cross was volleyed home.

Within a minute it was 2-0, Miller received the ball in the centre of midfield and played an inch perfect through ball that allowed Holmes to sprint clear and shoot low past the advancing keeper for his second of the match.

Heath were dominant; another Sultan cross from the right was headed out by a defender but only as far as Miller who returned it with a vengeance only to be denied by a superb save.

Two minutes later a short free kick from 25 yards out was played into Miller and again the visitors’ keeper was forced to make an excellent diving save. Mark Cave’s corner was then met by Ben Arthur at the far post and his header went inches over the crossbar.

Heath didn’t have to wait too long for the third, which arrived after 25 minutes, and it was that man Miller again who sent Sultan flying down the right flank in a repeat of the first goal, this time Holmes didn’t quite connect with the cross as he intended, Holmes reacted quickest to the rebound to knock in the loose ball and complete a first half hat-trick.

Heath continued to create chances, Swaine played in Holmes who cut inside and hit a left-footed curler that went narrowly wide of the far post and Mark Cave had a left-foot shot well saved by the keeper.

Oakwood had their best spell of the half just before the break, Mo Shuga’a cut inside and shot narrowly over the Heath crossbar from the edge of the penalty area and Heath keeper James Fisher made an acrobatic save in the closing minutes to deny the visitors.

Heath resumed the second period as they had the first and soon after the restart had increased their lead, this time Michael Wood was the provider with a low cross from the left that Holmes steered home for his fourth goal of the afternoon, but it could have been even better but for a miscue in front of goal from another Sultan cross.

The chances kept on coming, as Stuart Chester almost teed-up Sultan and Wood’s shot was saved. The scoring was not completed until five minutes from time though, as Gary Pritchard pounced when Miller’s long range shot was parried.