Forest FC are league champions again!

editorial image

A narrow victory over Wisborough Green on Tuesday night saw Forest FC finish as league champions for a second successive season.

Ben Clement’s goal midway through the second half sealed a 1-0 win, helped by man of the match Russ Harwood’s impressive display at centre half as Forest claimed the Division 3 North title with room to spare.

It came just three days after the side had sealed promotion to Division 2 with an excellent team performance against the same opponents to win 5-1 away from home.

Despite the heavy rain Forest played some good stuff, and after Lee Wragg had opened the scoring from a great run and cross from Charlie Hodgson they never looked back.

Gavin Fowler doubled their lead from the penalty spot and Hodgson outpaced a defender and the home keeper to score from the tightest of angles for a 3-0 half-time lead.

A fourth goal just after the restart finished the game off - from Oli Smith’s great through ball Hodgson crossed for Wragg to pick his spot.

Man of the match Hodgson unleashed an unstopabble shot into the corner for his second, before the hosts added a late consolation as Forest sealed back to back promotions.

In Division One Barns Green continued their recent improvement with a convincing 5-3 defeat of East Dean in Saturday’s atrocious conditions.

Green took the lead when new signing John Dillon hammered home and it soon became two when Dillon scored from the edge of the box with an amazing scissor kick.

With the elements taking control of the game East Dean pulled one back. Dillon then wowed the rain soaked crowd with yet another wonderful strike from the edge of the box to put the Green 3-1 up at half time.

With the conditions becoming reminiscent of a rice field Dillon added his, and Barns Greens’ fourth to extend the lead.

East Dean to their credit refused to give up and made it 4-2 after a goalmouth scramble. Back stormed the Green through leading scorer Stevie Blick to make it five after being set up by the impressive Dillon, before East Dean added a late third.