Cowfold edge out West Chilt - West Sussex Football League

JPCT-18-02-12  West Sussex footy West Chiltington (in red)  v Cowfold. S12081361a -photo by Steve Cobb
JPCT-18-02-12 West Sussex footy West Chiltington (in red) v Cowfold. S12081361a -photo by Steve Cobb

Premier Division - COWFOLD returned to winning ways with a resilient performance away to West Chiltington.

Cowfold included Piers McDermott and Scott Lancastle into the starting XI after impressing in the Reserves. In blustery conditions it was Cowfold who took the lead when Ben Tucker’s quick free kick released Greg Brabon, who superbly lofted the ball over the advancing keeper.

At the other end defender Dave Whiting blocked a shot on the line and James Fisher saved brilliantly to his right to keep West Chilt out, while Brabon nearly doubled his tally from a poor back pass. Whiting and Nigel Smith just failed to get on the end of James Wrigley’s drilled ball across the face of goal, and Whiting again had a good chance but cleared the bar.

West Chilt equalised in the second half following some good pressure, and from there both sides went in search of a winner. Chilt then had a man red carded for a foul on Whiting, and Cowfold threw on a third striker, Dean Robinson. It was Smith though who got the winner, cutting in from the left and finishing from a narrow angle after good work from Ben Tucker.

Fold: Fisher, Whiting, Lancastle, Tucker, Hatton, McDermott, Wrigley, Barnett, Smith, Brabon, Whiting. Subs: Robinson, Kingdon.

Division 2 North

PULBOROUGH maintained their good form with a solid 2-0 win away at Partridge Green. In difficult conditions the visitors kept the ball down well and their effort and possession finally paid off.

A long throw from James Underwood was flicked on to Sam Parkinson at the back post who bravely headed home, before George Graham skipped past four players and found Ash Leenders to coolly seal the win.

Malcom Simmonds Cup

BARNS Green were cruelly knocked out of the Malcom Simmonds Cup by Premier Division side Lancing Utd.

Green controlled large parts of the game thanks to Henry Liley and the industrious Danny Moore, only to find themselves a goal down on 38 minutes. Green roared back to level before half-time when James Fowler smashed home.

With Jack Pestridge driving the midfield, Stu Clarke fended off two defenders to put Green ahead, but injuries saw them play the last half hour with ten fit players and Lancing levelled two minutes before full time when a corner caught the wind and went in. Tiredness took its toll and Lancing scored again in extra-time to progress.

Green: Dumbrill, Constantine, Bacon, Walker, S Pestridge, J Pestridge, Liley, Moore, Johnson, Fowler, Clarke: Subs: Williams, R Pestridge.

Worthing & Horsham District Sunday League

Invitation Cup

AJAX Kings Arms booked themselves a place in the Invitation Cup final with a 4-3 win over Division 2 side The Vine.

The Vine made life difficult and went ahead against the run of play, before Ajax were awarded two quick-fire penalties - one for a diving save from a defender and the other a trip on Andy Barr - both dispatched by Craig Grantham for a 2-1 lead.

Vine never gave up and when they stroked a free kick into Polson’s unguarded top corner the game was very much alive.

Ajax finally woke up and Chris Osborne smashed them in front again and then Nico Molijn finished off an excellent team move to make the game safe, before Vine scored a consolation straight from a corner.

Ajax will play Fresh FC in the final on Sunday March 11 at Worthing Utd, kick off 10.30am.