Billingshurst knock the Robins off their perch and reach third

Billingshurst striker Oli Leslie netted five goals in his side's 10-goal rout on Saturday
Billingshurst striker Oli Leslie netted five goals in his side's 10-goal rout on Saturday

Billingshurst climbed up to third place in Division 3 and knocked leaders Bosham off their perch on Saturday.

The home side inflicted a second defeat in as many weeks on the Robins who had won their open seven games.

Russell Curtis’ first half penalty was the difference between the two sides at the Jubilee Fields.

Hurst manager Paul Cooper said: “It was a very disciplined performance and to get the three points against the league leaders with five regulars missing, including our captain, made it even more satisfying.

“We only had one recognised centre-half available before the game, but Kieran(Greig) came in and played superbly with Sleaty (Nathan Sleat) at the back.

“The league table is a little deceiving at present because Bosham have played all the teams in the bottom half of the table, while ourselves and others had a much tougher start with this being only our third home game this season too.

The hosts thought they’d taken the lead when Oli Leslie finished from close range following a free kick from the edge of the area but was denied by the linesman’s flag.

Hurst keeper and captain for the day Tom Betts then timed his exit from the penalty area and cleverly headed clear a ball over the top.

Midway through the first half Lee Thomas was chopped down by a Bosham defender and there were no complaints from the visitors as the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Curtis stepped up and delivered calmly sending the keeper the wrong way.

The second half was frenetic as chances, some guilt-edged came, and went for both sides with both keepers equally busy.

For a 20-minute period the Bosham midfield took a good hold of the game and enjoyed managed spells of possession. Centre-back pairing of Nathan Sleat and Kieren Greig, however, helped shut them out.”

A tussle between Ryan Taylor and Kieran Hartley saw both sent off, with Taylor feeling aggrieved about his second yellow, nevertheless, Billingshurst held out.

Billingshurst: Betts, Taylor, Lovett, Curtis, Greig, Sleat, Chadwick (Rapley), Thomas, Taylor, Leslie, Shurmahi (Brooker). Unused sub: Dixon.