Hastings Utd 2 Horsham 1: Hornets again let slip lead in battle of Hastings

Horsham were unable to complete the double over the top-two teams in the Ryman South when they fell to a 2-1 defeat away to Hastings Utd.

Sunday, 27th October 2013, 3:55 pm
Hastings United v Horsham action - Tom Gilbert

On Wednesday they managed to beat the league leaders Walton Casuals 3-1 but they sadly they could not pull off a similar result.

Coincidentally it was the second Saturday in a row they had pitted their skills against former Horsham manager John Maggs’ new club, having let slip a 2-0 lead before losing 4-2 in a heated FA Trophy tie last weekend.

Two Horsham players plus goalkeeping coach Rob Frankland and a Hastings player were sent-off following a punch-up.

This game took time to get going as a spectacle as players from both teams were perhaps trying to make sure the events of their last encounter were not repeated.

Hornets made two changes to midweek, with Tony Nwachukwu replacing the injured Byron Napper and captain Gary Charman coming in for Tom Graves.

Horsham looked the stronger side throughout the first half but were not able to get a shot on target to show for their better midfield and attacking play.

Gaby Udunaike eventually gave Hornets the lead in the 41st minute when he managed to shoot through a crowded penalty area after being set up for the chance by Tony Nwachukwu.

Moments before half-time at the other end Bailo Camara forced a point-blank save from Horsham goalkeeper Michael Hunter.

Disaster struck early in the second half when Horsham’s defending seemed to have fallen asleep as Sam Adams delivered a corner towards Tom Olorunda who headed home Hastings’ 54th minute equaliser.

Kenny Pogue had a goal disallowed for the home side for pushing and then Jahmahl King did well to prevent Pogue from giving his side the lead with a timely block into the penalty area.

Hastings took the lead in the 66th minute when a cross by Danny Ellis was put into his own net by Jahmahl King.

Manager Simon Colbran brought on giant new 6ft 4ins signing from Chipstead Junior Kaffo from the bench with 21 minutes to go, replacing striker Odunaike.

He did not play a major part in the closing stages which mainly featured Hastings pressing for a third.

Jamie Cade was put through and tried an audacious chip which was saved by keeper Josh Pelling before rebounding. Cade appealed for a penalty which was not given.

Hastings finished well on top as chances for Matt Darby and Adams were all struck off-target before Pogue was denied by in-form Hornets keeper Michael Hunter.

Horsham (4-4-2) Hunter, Hamilton, BJ King, J King, Charman, Marriott (Morley 63), Nwachukwu, Harris, Dunn, Cade, Odunaike (Kaffo 69). Unused subs: Varley, Blaney

Referee; Daniel Bonneywell (Herne Bay)

Attendance: 447