Harrogate Town 1, Crawley Town 1: Reds denied all three points by late goal

Crawley came away from Yorkshire with a deserved point following their 1-1 draw away at Harrogate Town in League Two this (Saturday) afternoon.

Saturday, 14th November 2020, 6:04 pm

Max Watters’ strike on 27 minutes gave the Reds the lead but Jack Muldoon equalised for the hosts on 84 minutes as both sides shared the spoils.

Crawley started off the brighter of the two teams as after five minutes Watters broke clear of the Harrogate defence following a ball over the top but he couldn’t bring the ball down and his effort was saved by James Belshaw.

The hosts almost took the lead against the run of play as on 21 minutes as Josh Falkingham fizzed a ball across the Reds’ six-yard box but Muldoon’s sliding effort was bravely smothered by Stuart Nelson.

Max Watters scored again for Crawley

Crawley continued to dominate the possession in the early exchanges with Josh Doherty coming closest, but his long-range effort sailed over the bar.

The Reds’ dominance did pay off however on 27 minutes as Harrogate failed to clear a Ashley Nadesan header across the box, the ball was picked up by Tom Nichols who pulled it back for Watters to tap home.

Crawley almost doubled their lead three minute later as some smart link-up play saw Nichols clear on the left, but his fierce strike was parried to safety as it remained 1-0 to the Reds heading into the break.

Crawley came out of the break firing as Town failed to deal with a cross from the left which was fielded by Powell on the edge who fired a vicious strike on the edge of the area which was well saved. Watters followed up for the rebound, but he was smothered by Belshaw before he could get his shot away.

Harrogate, however, looked more dangerous as the second half progressed with Lloyd Kerry coming close on 63 minutes which forced a corner. From the resulting corner a teasing cross was met by a Town player, but the header was cleared off the line by Doherty.

Dan Jones came on for the hosts and his long throws troubled the Reds defence as on 76 minutes his throw was met by Connor Hall whose header flashed just wide.

Harrogate’s second half dominance finally paid off on 84 minutes when Muldoon got on the end of a Jones throw-in to equalise.

The hosts almost snatched the three points in added time as Jones’ cross from the left clipped the crossbar.

Crawley did manage to hang on however and come away with a point from the EnviroVent Stadium.

Crawley Town: Nelson, Davies, Doherty, McNerney, Craig, Powell, Allarakhia (Dallison 78), Hessenthaler, Nichols, Nadesan, Watters (Frost 58)

Unused: Morris, Adebowale, Sesay, Ashford, Galach

Referre: Martin Coy