Coventry City 2 Crawley Town 2: Late goals clinch unlikely draw

Crawley's Andy Drury is congratulated after scoring the equaliser agianst Shrewsbury (Pic by Jon Rigby)
Crawley's Andy Drury is congratulated after scoring the equaliser agianst Shrewsbury (Pic by Jon Rigby)

Crawley scored two goals in the last seven minutes to earn a 2-2 draw away against Coventry City.

It had looked all over for the Reds after City had built a 1-0 lead through a goal in each half.

But John Gregory’s substitutions proved key to them mounting a late comeback netted by Jamie Proctor and Andy Drury.

Coventry looked the better side in the first half and it took some good defending by Reds to keep the home side at bay until four minutes before half-time.

A corner by Andy Webster went in off the head of Mat Sadler for an own goal in the 41st minute.

Crawley responded with their best opportunities of what was a quiet half for them.

First Mike Jones found Gary Alexander unmarked 10 yards out and he headed over the bar.

Making his first start since returning on loan from Bournemouth, Matt Tubbs created space on the edge of the area and fired over.

Coventry had dominated the first half and went close to scoring in the fifth minute when Cyrus Christie dribbled past Sadler and shot wide across the face of goal.

Carl Baker twice had a go on goal, going wide from the edge of the area and blasting another attempt over the crossbar.

The Crawley defence were in good form as Joe Walsh stopped a good attack from City with a great tackle on Franck Moussa, then Kyle McFadzean did likewise on Billy Daniels.

Crawley looked more attacking minded in the second half, taking the game to their opponents.

Nicky Adams played a good cross into the area which was asking someone to connect with but no-one did.

Mark Connolly set up Tubbs on the hour with a cross for a header which was their first chance on target but this was easily gathered by keeper Joe Murphy.

Adams delivered a fine cross from the left aiming for Tubbs which looked very promising but was headed clear by the City defence.

Coventry keeper Joe Murphy denied McFadzean at the near post from an Adams free-kick.

City then extended their lead to 2-0 in the 81st minute as Baker’s corner was met by a looping header by Moussa.

Crawley rallied to pull a goal back two minutes later as Andy Drury crossed to substitute Jamie Proctor who headed home.

Buoyed by their goal, Crawley added a second goal in the 85th minute as another substitute, Sergio Torres went on a great run into the box, beat a defender and delivered the ball for Drury to equalise with a good finish.

REDS: P.Jones, Sadler, Connelly, McFadzean, Alexander (Proctor 78), Drury, Simpson (Torres 78), Walsh, N.Adams, Tubbs, M.Jones.

Unused subs: Maddison. Hurst, Essam, Sinclair

COVENTRY: Murphy, Christie, B.Adams (Haynes 86), Webster, Thomas, Fleck, Baker, Moussa (Barton 85), Daniels (Slager 71), Willis, J Clarke

Unused subs: Burge, Phillips, Garner, Maund

REFEREE: J.Linington

ATTENDANCE: 2,128 (192 away)