Colbran warns of new arrivals after Horsham’s dismal defeat

JPCT-03-03-12  FOOTBALL: Horsham v Tooting at Gorings Mead. New manager Simon Colbran, first game in charge. S12100629a -photo by Steve Cobb
JPCT-03-03-12 FOOTBALL: Horsham v Tooting at Gorings Mead. New manager Simon Colbran, first game in charge. S12100629a -photo by Steve Cobb

FURIOUS manager Simon Colbran has warned he plans to bring new players in over the summer after Horsham lost 5-1 to 14th place East Thurrock Utd.

Already-relegated Horsham eased towards their 29th league defeat this season but for the boss it was an unexpected horror show after they had showed signs of improvement since his arrival.

Recently-appointed Cobran said: “When I came here I didn’t want to bring 20 players in and change everything around. I wanted to give everyone the chance to show who wants to play for Horsham and that’s what I’ve done.

“I’ve learnt a lot in these last games and I can see who’s going to be up for it next season and who isn’t. I’ve got to make decisions. I know the areas where we need to improve and strengthen and I will be looking into that in the summer.

“We had improved against Margate and in the first half today and then threw it away through silly mistakes. If we can’t learn we’ll have to look at bringing people in. Everybody’s had their chance.”

An uneventful first half saw players struggling to control the ball on the hard and bobbly Gorings Mead pitch and with neither side getting on top all was set for the teams to go into half-time level at 0-0.

However Horsham conceded an opening goal with just seconds remaining when East Thurrock’s Kris Newby played a free-kick to Kye Ruel who was left unmarked in the area and made easy work of scoring with a well-taken volley.

The Rocks then added a second goal within two minutes of the restart when Sam Higgins successfully latched onto a cross from the right from 10 yards out.

Former Eastbourne Borough striker Andy Atkin finally made his Horsham debut one month after signing for the club but lacked match sharpness as he scewed a chance well wide.

East Thurrock went 3-0 ahead after 57 minutes when Newby nodded down a cross and Matt Hall lashed the ball into the net.

Thurrock then raced to a 4-0 lead in similar style as a cross from Greg Cohen found Sam Higgins who scored with a free header.

To enormous cheering from the home faithful, Hornets pulled a goal back with 13 minutes to go, headed in by Charlie Farmer from a Wayne Clark cross.

Horsham then enjoyed their best period of the game with three attmepts on goal as Ray Freeman saw a shot saved. Substitute Dan Morris went close following a well-worked move on the left and in added time Clark had a go on goal but his effort rolled tamely along the ground for keeper Richard Wray to gather.

Finally East Thurrock rubbed salt into the wounds with a fifth goal from a breakaway move, crossed in from the left by Michael Rankin and struck first time from six yards with the outside of the boot by Newby.

Colbran criticised; “They are making silly mistakes, diving in in the wrong areas, not marking tightly enough in the box and not going with runners. I keep saying it but we’re not learning. There was nothing in it in the first half then three silly mistakes led to their first goal with 30 seconds to go.

“It was absolutely ridiculous and it killed us. If we’d gone into half-time at 0-0 it would have been a completely different game and we’ve got to learn from it.”