Broadbridge Heath 1, Lancing 2: Below par Bears lose to Lancing

It was a below par performance from the Broadbridge Heath players in their home game with Lancing on Saturday as they lost 2-1.

Monday, 12th December 2016, 12:45 pm
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 1:36 pm
Action from Saturday's game by Steve Robards

It didn’t look that way for the first quarter of the match as Heath dominated early play but with their first attack of any note Lancing took the lead in the 26th minute with a swift counter-attack by Nana Baah who chased down a long through ball from his own half to dribble around Michael Chester and score from the angle; previously to that Jake Holmes had Heath’s best chance with a shot that was deflected wide of the Lancing post.

Ollie Moore responded for Heath with a shot from 40 yards that skimmed off the wet turf and was saved by Lancing keeper Tyler D’Cruz diving at full length to push the ball wide of the goal. Alex Fair should have made it 2-0 for Lancing minutes before the break when Tom Caplin whipped in a cross from the right but the Lancing No 9 sliding in at the far post failed to connect properly and the ball drifted wide of the post.

The second half was more noticeable for the time-wasting by the Lancing player’s who appeared to be more interested in hanging on to their 1-0 lead frustrating both the Heath players and supporters.

The Bears were close to scoring when a Piers McDermott corner was met by Stuart Chester but his header went just over the crossbar but with 15 minutes remaining the visitors scored a second with a well worked goal down the left flank that ended with the ball being cut back from the goal line to Lewis Finney who scored from close range. Lancing celebrated like they’d just won the cup but with five minutes remaining Heath finally broke their deadlock when Rob Godfrey’s corner was headed home by Stuart Chester.

With Heath now pushing everyone forward in search of goals a Lancing breakaway 5 minutes into time added on ended with Andy Howard being shown a straight red for pulling back a Lancing player on the halfway line, despite another 3 minutes of time added it just wasn’t going to be Heath’s day and the visitors held on to record their fourth league win on the trot.

After the game Heath Manager Steve Painter said “No complaints, we didn’t deserve to win today, we didn’t work their keeper enough, he only made one save in the entire match which isn’t good enough).

Team: M.Chester, Holvey, Robinson, Howard, S.Chester, McDermott (Whiting 85), Moore, Findlay, Holmes, Wright (Godfrey 65), Sultan.