UPDATE: Inspectors reveal cause of Copthorne fire

Emergency services outside the fire in Copthorne Road
Emergency services outside the fire in Copthorne Road

Fire inspectors have revealed the cause of a fire which destroyed a family home in Copthorne.

Firefighters were called to tackle a blaze at a bungalow in Copthorne Road, on Sunday (November 22).

The fire broke out at around 12.30pm and raged for more than four hours, destroying 90 per cent of the building.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “What they (the fire inspectors) believe caused it was an overheated log burner that had poor maintenance that set fire to nearby items. It is being treated as an accident.”

Over the past couple of days the village has come together to support the family affected by the blaze.

The Cherry Tree pub, in Copthorne Bank, has been collecting donations of clothes, shoes and toiletries and landlord Oscar Higareda said he was very pleased with the community’s response.

He said: “They are very good, the whole response has been good. The donations are taking up three tables. We have also had a lot of people offering them a meal at their homes. Copthorne is like that.”

The donations will be collected from the pub later today. If you would still like to donate visit the Cherry Tree.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawley.observer

3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.