Storey salutes ‘huge’ win at Carshalton

JPCT 020115 S15010070x Football. Ryman League South Division: Horsham v Worthing -photo by Steve Cobb SUS-150201-092140001
JPCT 020115 S15010070x Football. Ryman League South Division: Horsham v Worthing -photo by Steve Cobb SUS-150201-092140001

Interim manager Anthony Storey described Horsham’s three points at Carshalton Athletic on Saturday as a huge win.

A second-half Tony Nwachukwu penalty saw the Hornets leave South London with a 1-0 win and end a run of four straight defeats.

It was just their fifth win of the season and another good performance which now leaves them just two points adrift at the foot of the Ryman League South Division and five points from safety.

Storey said: “I have been there many times and it’s a very tough place to go and get a result, but they (Horsham players) dug in deep and I am very proud of them.

“I thought we were the better side to be honest and could have been two up at the break. Bailo Camara, who had an excellent debut, had gone through and the keeper made a good save.

“Tony (Nwachukwu) had a couple of shots as well and I thought we were a real threat.

“In the second half we rode our luck a little bit, but we have some real pace as well and it was a great team performance.

“It’s a huge win for us. I was disappointed that we did not get something Wednesday night, but this is again something to build on.”

Storey was forced to watch from the stands after his red card at Corinthian Casuals so Cliff Cant took control in the away dugout to mastermind Carshalton’s first defeat in eight game.

The hosts started the bright and Horsham were forced into an early change as Ade Akande replaced Jack Page who limped off with a pulled hamstring.

Horsham, however, had the best three chances of the game from a bright spell of play. Camara was first to be denied when his goalbound shot to hit the legs of Jack Eden went wide.

From the corner, Tom Hughes’ header was superbly tipped over by the keeper, while Oli Lockyer’s next delivery saw Camara’s effort blocked and Callum Sherriff off target with the follow up.

At the other end, Gareth Williams saved Mickel Miller’s low drive as he broke through. Camara then drew four players before finding Nwachukwu and, after a quick exchange between the two new team-mates, Nwachukwu blasted the ball just wide

Carshalton’s Tommy Bradford then nipped in front of Williams just before the break to nod Jordan Clarke’s free kick past the post.

A groin problem meant Ross Morley was replaced by Richie Welch at half-time, but the youngster had yet to touch the ball when Hughes produced a superb block to prevent Austin Gacheru from giving the hosts a 48th-minute lead.

Welch’s first involvement almost brought the opening goal, moments later, when his flick-on found Camara whose cross was headed on to the roof of the net by Nwachukwu.

On 75 minutes, a Hornets free-kick was cleared up field and unmarked substitute Ryan Young was picked out by Miller’s pass, but, with only Williams to beat, he dragged his shot wide.

Minutes later, Camara and Nwachukwu closed down the home defence, blocking an attempted clearance, and when Camara chased down the loose ball he was taken out by Eden who was booked as the referee pointed straight to the spot.

Nwachukwu tucked home the ball into the bottom corner with his fifth penalty of the season to send the visitors on to their second league win in 15 attempts.

Some committed defender kept the hosts out in the final ten minutes with their best chance seeing Miller loop a header over the bar deep in injury time.

Horsham: Williams, Page (Akande 7), Hughes, Sherriff, Hamilton, Locker (Berry 55), Morley (Welch 45), Gilbert, Branford, Nwachukwu, Camara. Unused subs: Ampleford, Smith.