‘Smoking in bed caused house fire’

A BLAZE which ripped through a Henfield bungalow is believed to have been started by the occupier smoking in bed, say the fire service.

Firefighters rushed to Furners Mead at 6.30am on Tuesday, just a day before No Smoking Day.

A woman in her 20s had a lucky escape and was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. Fortunately, her young son, who lives with her, was staying with his grandparents at the time.

Three fire engines, police cars, an ambulance, along with police forensics and a British Red Cross support vehicle were on the scene. The house had been cordoned off by officers and firefighters were removing tiles from the roof.