PARENTS will face a day of chaos tomorrow when more than 20 schools across the Horsham district close for strike action.
In a matter of hours, hundreds of West Sussex teachers and other public sector workers will take part in one of the biggest protest rallies the market town has ever seen.
Protesters will march at 10am from the bandstand in Horsham Park, before taking to the Maderia Avenue Conservative headquarters and finishing at the Carfax bandstand.
A website page has been launched by West Sussex County Council designed to give residents warning and advice on service disruptions as a result of national industrial action - sure to affect thousands across the county. The council say pages will be regularly updated and will include details of any schools closures.
Such decisions are made by headteachers in conjunction with governing bodies.
The council has been reviewing and updating business continuity plans for all its services, and has said it will do its utmost to ensure as little disruption as possible for the county’s most vulnerable residents.
Louise Goldsmith, WSCC leader, said: “If industrial action does take place, we will ensure that as much information is made available as possible to residents through the website, and as many other channels as possible including our local media.
“We must stress again that this is a national dispute over pensions that can only be settled at national level, and we hope a resolution will be found nationally that both matches the country’s economic circumstances and also the aspirations of staff working in local government and the public sector generally.”
The following schools in and around the Horsham district will be closed:
• St Andrew’s CofE Primary School, Nuthurst, Horsham
• All Saints CofE Primary School, Horsham
• Leechpool Primary School, Horsham
• Steyning Grammar School, Steyning
• Holbrook Primary School, Horsham
• Holy Trinity CofE Primary School, Horsham
• Millais School, Horsham
• Rusper Primary School, Horsham
• Rydon Community College, Pulborough
• Shelley Primary School, Horsham
• Slinfold CofE Primary School, Horsham
• St Peter’s CofE (Aided) Primary School, Cowfold, Horsham
• Storrington First School, Pulborough
• The Forest School, Horsham
• The Weald School, Billingshurst
• Upper Beeding Primary School, Steyning
• West Chiltington Community School, Pulborough
The following kids’ clubs will also be shut:
• Kids Like Us at Holbrook Primary School This club is completely closed.
• Kids Like Us at Southwater Infant Academy This club is completely closed.
• Kids Like Us at Southwater Junior Academy This club is completely closed.
Warnham CofE Primary School, Horsham, will close for classes Pluto (Foundation Stage 19 pupils) and Neptune (Year two class 28 pupils).
Oak and Willow classes will run at Thakeham First School, Pulborough, but the school will close for Apple class.